2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to upgrade the speakers:
Has anyone tried Polk DB-6501
Opinions on Polk DB-6501 vs Infinity REF6520?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
No experience of Polk before, but any reputable replacement is bound to work better than the standard speakers. The infinitys work well and you know they will fit with the guide on civinfo.

The only problem I had was too much treble, but that is down to the Head unit settings which you can easily adjust. Dont forget to put some Dynamat in while you have the panels off (helps to get the bass from the woofers).

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
As above the treble is way to high

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
If you expect the tweeters to go to harsh, you can always squeeze the treble on the head unit. If the range of the tweeters still is to high, solder a series resistor of 4 ohm in front of the + terminal. Gives you 3 db attenuation.
In short: I would not consider this -6 db ability a reason to choose for this set.

K.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you expect the tweeters to go to harsh, you can always squeeze the treble on the head unit. If the range of the tweeters still is to high, solder a series resistor of 4 ohm in front of the + terminal. Gives you 3 db attenuation.
In short: I would not consider this -6 db ability a reason to choose for this set.

K.
Electronics are a bit of a black art for me but if I find them to be a bit harsh I'll give this a go - thanks for the advice :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for late response - I've been out in the wilderness playing the tuba.

I've only listened to Polk 6501 speakers for 10 min in the shop - comparing them to the Infinity 6520. In the shop the Polks sounded best to me. May be different in the car tough.

First impression was a darker, more punchy and slightly more easy listening sound in the Polks. The Infinitiy speakers created a more "clinical" or "technical" :oops: sound with more strident tweeter. The Polks also cost 25% more.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Polk DB-6501 fitted! :cool:
Clarity and details are another league. Low bass is as expected from a 6,5" speaker fitted in a front door, while mid bass and higher has an definition and control which allows for higher volume without tired ears. The tweeter was more withdrawn than the Infinitys when listening in the shop, when in the car its more than strong enough. All in all a very musical sounding speaker system, altough a little dark, probably due to a dip in the frequency responce in low treble area. I can certanly live with that.
The sensitivity is a bit lower than the originals - typical radio listening on volume notch 13 before, require 16 now. Also OK.
Quite expensive speakers - NOK 3400 (£ 300) fitted - but good quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts