2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I've had this issue for a long time (along with a few other, possibly unrelated, issues) but I decided to post on here to see if anyone has got any ideas for me.

In the mornings my FN2 drives very badly, almost as though it is mis-firing. Starts from cold every time on the 3rd crank. Clutch pedal is fairly stiff if the weather is below freezing.

When attempting to drive my car I have to be very careful with the clutch/accelerator or the engine will start bunny-hopping/juddering. Once the engine has reached optimum temperature this fault disapears. Although occasionally, while decellerating, I will feel a small jolt. When I feel this jolt I know that as soon as I start to accelerate again my engine will start to judder and bunny hop. To make this go away I depress the clutch pedal and start again.

Seems like a strange fault and I have no idea what it could be. All garages I have spoken to have no idea (and seem reluctant to even help me...).

Info about the car:
I bought the car from Norton Way Honda in Letchworth with 54k miles. Car had a knackered clutch and flywheel when I bought it (I should've test driven it properly I know).

After about 3 weeks of arguing with Honda HQ and Norton Way Honda I finally got a new clutch under warrenty and the flywheel was skimmed. Car still didn't feel right to drive, Norton Way Honda refused to take the car back, Honda HQ could do no more. So I gave up on them.

One odd thing to note is that when I reverse in my car it makes a weird juddering noise and I can feel the engine bunny-hopping slightly. Even when the clutch is depressed and the car is rolling backwards the juddering noise is still there. (Imagine the sound of a car reversing and then putting your fingers in and out of your ears quickly).

Possible clutch issue? Poorly machined flywheel? Sticky throttle body motor?

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Dan

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Mine is like a kangaroo when it's cold. Best to warm up first or treat it gently until it's warm.

Current mileage?
When was last service?
Have the sparks been changed?
Have you plugged in an OBD2 to check for fault codes?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is like a kangaroo when it's cold. Best to warm up first or treat it gently until it's warm.

Current mileage?
When was last service?
Have the sparks been changed?
Have you plugged in an OBD2 to check for fault codes?
Yeah that's pretty much what mine is like!

88k miles.
Last service 7 months ago was an oil change at 83k miles.
Major service at 77k miles October 2014 at Honda (included spark plugs, valve clearances, oil change, etc)
No I haven't had the fault codes checked for about 12 months. Last check showed no fault codes at all.

I drive the car very carefully in the cold. Never accelerating hard or revving over 3krpm until the engine has reached safe operating temperature.

Might just bite the bullet and get a new clutch and flywheel. I'm pretty sure that the Honda garage I bought my car from did a shoddy job of repairing it. Car occasionally drags into 1st gear.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
When was the air filter last changed? Might be worth checking the condition and making sure no pipes have come off from the airbox or throttle body. Does the judder feel in the clutch pedal? It may not be clutch related. Might also be worth checking for any fault codes again (I'm thinking lambda sensor)

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When was the air filter last changed? Might be worth checking the condition and making sure no pipes have come off from the airbox or throttle body. Does the judder feel in the clutch pedal? It may not be clutch related. Might also be worth checking for any fault codes again (I'm thinking lambda sensor)
Air filter is an Injen CAI which you can half-see through the front bumper grille. It's probably dirty as hell! Will give it a check. CAI was fitted Feb 2014.

My old FN2 on 30K and full history drove like crap when cold
Sounds like i'm not the only one then!

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
You're definitely not the only one. The FN2 has a pretty light flywheel, which results in the engine being very sensitive to variations in power when cold. I have to drive up a pretty steep, very bumpy hill immediately after leaving the house - imagine how jerky that is!

Cure is to drive cautiously for the first few minutes, or warm it up before driving off.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Air filter is an Injen CAI which you can half-see through the front bumper grille. It's probably dirty as hell! Will give it a check. CAI was fitted Feb 2014.
Aha! When was the filter last replaced?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aha! When was the filter last replaced?
*ahem*....you have to replace them? :p I will look into getting a new filter!

You're definitely not the only one. The FN2 has a pretty light flywheel, which results in the engine being very sensitive to variations in power when cold. I have to drive up a pretty steep, very bumpy hill immediately after leaving the house - imagine how jerky that is!

Cure is to drive cautiously for the first few minutes, or warm it up before driving off.
Ooh I never knew that! I'm glad that i'm not the only person who has this issue. Maybe i'm just being overly paranoid!

Mine is probably a little bit lighter then due to it having to be machined down to remove the awful scuffs on it from when I bought the car.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Filter replacement depends, is it an oiled one. If so something like a k&n recharge kit would help.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I think this is actually just a character of the engine?

I've had this even when the car was brand new. It seems to be worst if you try and drive it in a slightly higher gear than necessary. This is normally fine when the car is warm but when it's cold blimey - I think Kangaroo sums it up perfectly!!

I normally just take it easy for the first few minutes and try to be very gentle with the throttle (and keep it in 2nd if in a 30 zone).

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Mines the same 50k on the clock and serviced 500 miles ago also since putting the group n map in it it seems to be worse

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
My type R isn't keen on the cold either. Normally before driving off I let it run for a minute or so just to get the oil flowing. Since doing this no more issues.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Same, 27k on it and it drives like crap. My journey to work is only 4 miles, so all my journeys in the winter to work are awful.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
They're **** basically. Ive never owned a car with so many irritations and faults. Yes it has a high revving engine and is relatively fast, but that is all. Thats why we spend so much money on trying to make it better, Its a little bit like polishing a turd, but it takes you to work and back (just)

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Ha, I had a cooper s. Direct injection engine and coked valves issue, drank oil, pcv made engine bay oily, turbo blew. My FN2 may not like a cold start but it's a breeze.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
They're **** basically. Ive never owned a car with so many irritations and faults. Yes it has a high revving engine and is relatively fast, but that is all. Thats why we spend so much money on trying to make it better, Its a little bit like polishing a turd, but it takes you to work and back (just)
Sounds like you got a Friday afternoon special! :-(

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Christ, it's not *that* bad. The jerkiness from cold lasts about five minutes from cold, tops.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Filter replacement depends, is it an oiled one. If so something like a k&n recharge kit would help.
Don't!

It's a dry filter and shouldn't be oiled.

There's a video on Youtube of how to recharge it that should help:

It says the recharge interval is every 10-20K.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts