2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
Ive got a milano red civic... just short of 16000 miles and there must be atleast 20 stone chips on the bonnet! Just had it inspected today and the readout was an average of 107micro-meters. Which is extremely thin!

Has anyone had same problems and had them resolved by Honda? Im hoping they are going to do something about it
Or does anyone know the standard for paintwork thickness?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Good luck -

Just do a search on here for stone chips and you may find one or two who have posted about this

·
Administrator
15,502 Posts
Hi
Ive got a milano red civic... just short of 16000 miles and there must be atleast 20 stone chips on the bonnet! Just had it inspected today and the readout was an average of 107micro-meters. Which is extremely thin!

Has anyone had same problems and had them resolved by Honda? Im hoping they are going to do something about it

Cheers
unfortunately its Hondas soft water based paint. The reply you will get will be your driving to close to other cars.:(

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
Yup soft paint and there is no way past it other than getting the bonnet resprayed or have it wrapped in vinyl clear or carbon both these options are cheaper and save the paint work

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Yes, had the problem and no, Honda did nothing other than claim the paint was thick enough.

I'm now £400 lighter thanks to the soft paint.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Mine is the same too,looks fab when polished but my bonnet is horrendous,i get more chips and more gutted everyday! 06 plate type s nighthawk black,60,000 miles.

·
Administrator
15,502 Posts
Hi

Or does anyone know the standard for paintwork thickness?
Cheers
Also 107 microns is about the norm but it will vary around the car, my wife's corsa is the same, even as low as 95 in some parts, it's only 12mts old.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
we are a Honda approved body shop .The amount of Honda's we have in for stone chips,Honda dont put a lot of paint on there cars.its not the paint its the angle of the bonnet and wings .Mine is pepped in stone chips ,We put the same paint on other cars ,and they are not stone chipped .Honda system we have to use is ICI paint .

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I was considering getting a scratch guy out to hide what he can.. also thought about carbon wrapping but I wouldnt be confident doing it myself. Mine's not an old car either, got 4/5 stone scrapes too that annoy me.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
if you are going to carbon wrap your bonnet ,get it done professionally,yes it will cost that bit extra ,but once done its going to last You will also get a bit of guarantee with it piece of mind.as for scraps and chips go to halfords and get the touch up kit,i do recommend getting your self a good touch up brush,art shop your best bet.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks anyway guys... As you said, ive heard from honda and they wont be doing anything about it, because its due to the hazards of the road. ahhh

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Thanks anyway guys... As you said, ive heard from honda and they wont be doing anything about it, because its due to the hazards of the road. ahhh

Not surprised! Typical Honda excuse - I got the same response.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hi guys.

Recently bought myself a milano red EX GT from a local used car dealer in loughborough and the bonnet is full of chips.

Got a good deal on the car so don't mind putting some saved money towards respraying the bonnet just wondering if anyone can recommend a good body shop either in the east midlands or in the south i.e. southampton which is where I'm currently working.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts