2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So today I took my 2003 diesal civic to have it's timing belt changed by dealer in which they replaced it for £135! Really cheap to my surprise which I thought would cost over £200.

They did the complimentary visual health check and my Civic has come with lots of problems which include I need new clutch, with corroded road springs, bump stops have dropped and arm bushes starting to split. Brakes and disks are on its way out too which need changing which I am going to do anyway.

Altogether it's over £2k worth of work which is a fair bit.

Is it worth me doing the work and keeping the car as it's a nice car. Old I know but it does serve its purpose. Or do i just part ex it for something else.

I've attached a screenshot of the visual health check..

Thanks

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
So I'm seeing that you need brake light bulbs, and new discs - which you can do yourself.

The rest can be done at a later date, or at an independent garage.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
So I'm seeing that you need brake light bulbs, and new discs - which you can do yourself.

The rest can be done at a later date, or at an independent garage.
As can the wipe blades. Get quotes from other garages for everything else. Springs etc first as driving nobly on the clutch can stretch its life. (depends on how much its slipping.....also how do they know Its needed if its only visual as this can't be seen unless gearbox is removed?)

sent from fraggle rock.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
As can the wipe blades. Get quotes from other garages for everything else. Springs etc first as driving nobly on the clutch can stretch its life. (depends on how much its slipping.....also how do they know Its needed if its only visual as this can't be seen unless gearbox is removed?)

sent from fraggle rock.
From the looks of it they've just tested it and said it's "heavy" - and the remedy is a new clutch?

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
Also get another garages opinion on how long slightly corroded road springs last. Could be more miles left in them. And for heavy clutch could a clutch fluid change and pedal adjustment sort this?

sent from fraggle rock.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wemorgan - The last MOT passed, but my next one is due this next month!

Freddy & Syx - To be fair I have noticed too that the clutch is heavy. Clutch has never slipped though. But what I do notice when driving off in first gear that it does judder. So unsure there. Maybe clutch fluid and some adjustment may work.

Think first thing first is to look at the suspension. I'll never changed brakes and discs before so probably get this booked in at local garage. How simple are they to do by your own?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
wemorgan - The last MOT passed, but my next one is due this next month!

Freddy & Syx - To be fair I have noticed too that the clutch is heavy. Clutch has never slipped though. But what I do notice when driving off in first gear that it does judder. So unsure there. Maybe clutch fluid and some adjustment may work.

Think first thing first is to look at the suspension. I'll never changed brakes and discs before so probably get this booked in at local garage. How simple are they to do by your own?
Your clutch would have to have some serious problems for it to fail an MOT, considering that driving the car is not part of the test.
How many miles have you done?

Pads and discs are pretty straightforward but if you've never done them before and aren't confident find yourself an independent garage that will change them for you at far less than Honda's labour rates.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your clutch would have to have some serious problems for it to fail an MOT, considering that driving the car is not part of the test.
How many miles have you done?
Only done 58k on the clock...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,165 Posts
Only done 58k on the clock...
My sister has a 54 plate Civic 1.7 CDTi SE which has just gone over the 100k mark, and that is the original clutch, so like some of the other guys have said, don't even think about getting a new clutch until you experience proper slipping.
Also, had you found the clutch heavy yourself? The guy who considered it heavy might have been used to the light clutches on many newish little cars. Everything's relative.
Slightly off topic, Pranay84, does your engine mgmt. light come on from time to time, putting you in limp-home mode? Her civic is great but she's getting peed off with this happening on hers, so is considering getting rid because of it. Anyone have any idea about why this might be coming on? She switches off, then restarts ok...bizarre.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
My sister has a 54 plate Civic 1.7 CDTi SE which has just gone over the 100k mark, and that is the original clutch, so like some of the other guys have said, don't even think about getting a new clutch until you experience proper slipping.
Also, had you found the clutch heavy yourself? The guy who considered it heavy might have been used to the light clutches on many newish little cars. Everything's relative.
Slightly off topic, Pranay84, does your engine mgmt. light come on from time to time, putting you in limp-home mode? Her civic is great but she's getting peed off with this happening on hers, so is considering getting rid because of it. Anyone have any idea about why this might be coming on? She switches off, then restarts ok...bizarre.
When was it last serviced? Could it be blocked oil/air filter? Obviously overtime she turns it off she is resetting something so check codes.

sent from fraggle rock.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Why not take it to the garage to get the fault code read. Selling the car without knowing the fault sounds rather drastic.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Good luck with the A3, nice car. Though if she doesn't like paying for car repairs she'll like paying for the Audi even less (less reliable and more expensive to repair). But what a woman wants, a woman shall have!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I do find the clutch a little heavy but it's always been like that ever since we owned the car. I have a 8th gen civic too and that clutch is lighter but it would be as half the age if the older civic. It's never slipped so I think I'll just keep on going on with it with its existing clutch.

Regarding your engine management light mines use to come on and go into limp Mode. But the engine light always stayed on. But if I switched car off and on again it would be ok for a little while until it happened again shortly thereafter. This was due to my Turbo being knackered. I bought a obd2 reader from amazon and plugged myself and checked for the error code myself. But I got the turbo replaced from Honda dealer and the problem was solved after. Had to stump up £350 for it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,165 Posts
Thanks, Pranay. That's not a bad price for a new Honda-fitted turbo. If it was me, I would stay with Honda. VAG can only dream about competing with Honda in the reliability stakes. Audi do have an appeal, and years ago I rang Audi sales for a brochure, but was a bit insulted by the snotty oik who I spoke to. He probably thought I was not serious. 2 weeks later, I bought a brand new Merc. Funnily enough, Mercedes dealer was so professional, as was the Honda dealer. Both understand and more importantly, RESPECT the customer. At least, that was my experience. I gather Toyota are customer-focused. Is that still the case, guys?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is unbelievable.

Took my Civic to an private garage to have the work looked at.

Put car up on the ramps and nothing wrong with the car whatsoever. Bushes are fine. No bump stops all intact and no corrosion on springs either. They even showed it me too and I couldn't see any corrosion either.

Lying B**tard of a Honda Dealership the one in Mountsorrel are!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts