2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the new Bilstein coilovers fitted to my Type R for about 7 weeks now and due to trying to locate other knocking (drop links) I don't know if this noise was there from the outset but I've had the entire strut out and back in place again.

These coilovers use the original strut bearings and top mounts so are not like conventional coilovers.

The noise I am getting only appears when dry steering and tight steering while moving slowing like when parking the car in a car park. When doing this I will hear what sounds like a pop/clunk as if the spring is catching :confused:. This and nothing else can be heard when travelling at speed, hard cornering etc... only slow (snails pace) speed and tight turing.

I recently replaced my drop links (as I thought this was the issue) with Whiteline's heavy duty adjustables. This made no difference to the noise, still there. I have also checked the following:

- Track rod end
- Ball joints
- CV joint
- Spring seated correctly

and all are okay.

Current sugestions on the internet are to:

- Check the torque of drop links
- Check the torque of the top strut nut and mount nuts

Would/could this noise be caused by a lack of grease where the top of the strut meets the bearing and top mount?

Any ideas of suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
I would say the latter ! lack of grease on the strut top ? I had same noise you describing & when checked it was very dry ? A quick grease up & noise is gone :) it was just spring moving when it's dry to sit in its seat properly ! Very annoying but a quick greasing sorts it out ? Well it did for me buddy :)

THE BEAST FROM THE NORTH EAST :D

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say the latter ! lack of grease on the strut top ? I had same noise you describing & when checked it was very dry ? A quick grease up & noise is gone :) it was just spring moving when it's dry to sit in its seat properly ! Very annoying but a quick greasing sorts it out ? Well it did for me buddy :)

THE BEAST FROM THE NORTH EAST :D
Thought you'd say that, that'll be me taking the strut apart again to get access to the bearing and top mount :rolleyes:

Cheers mate

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Me too from the sound of it, is the bearing just the surface between the spring seat and top mount or is it something more elaborate, I was wondering if loosening the top nut and the application of a couple of spring compressors may give access.
Regards

James

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the car in the air tonight and stripped down the front struts. Cleaned everything up and noticed that the plastic 'guider sleeves' (plastic hoops that guide the spring into position) on the bottom of the strut bearings have broken due to the spring compressing more at the top of the strut.

Now was this the cause of the noise? Who knows....

I clipped back the remaining 'guider sleeves' and sanded the down smooth so they are out of the way (I have left the edges of them to stop the spring moving about too much).

I also found that the spring had made an indent in the bottom of the bearing (only made of plastic) just before the stopper. If I put pressure of the bottom of the spring and turn it would slip out of the indent and then hit the stopper making what I believe to be the noise :rolleyes:

So a bit more sanding of the indent and then I decided to place some felt tape on the area up to the stopper and then greased up the end of the spring. Nice and smooth now no noise.

Putting everything back together I made sure there was plenty of grease around the top mount where it comes into contact with the strut. Everything else went back together and I tightened everything up to the correct torque settings (according to Honda).

Same procedure for the other side and found the same issues again with the bottom of the strut bearing where it comes into contact with the spring.

Haven't test driven it yet but it will get a trip to work tomorrow and I will feed back the results.

Fingers crossed :popcorn2:

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After my trip to work today I can now say that I've fixed it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I must have been a combination of the spring skipping out of the indent made in the strut bearing and the broken guider sleeves on the strut bearing. Either way it's dead quiet now and loving it again.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Got any pictures what your talking about?

You sure you put the top mounts back in correctly when you took them out, what I mean is the arrows on the top mount facing the correct way, if they weren't it causes the spring to catch.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything went back correctly mate, arrows were pointing in the correct direction. I'm confident it was to do with the strut bearing.

No decent pictures, however, if you look at the picture (from Lings) No. 10 is the strut bearing and you can see the tab and guider sleeve. These were broken/cracking on mine were the spring has been compressing it.

As said, I trimmed these back and sanded them down. I have no pictures of the indent the springs were creating.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some better photos as I had to have it all apart again a week ago because the noise came back.

You can see in this photo that it had already worn through the felt tape:

I bought some rubber/foam tape to provide support to the spring so that it sits snug in the bearing not allowing it to shift under weight:

You can see the areas around the bearing where I've stuck the foam/rubber tape to. You can also see where the spring sleeves where that broke:

And here is the spring seated in the bearing:

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
You told ABP about this?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
No mate, you experiencing the same problems?

It seems that these coilovers have been developed without thinking about how the existing bearings will be affected :roll eyes:

All is good now though and I'm loving the car again :D

Have you resolved your knocking noises Ash?
Well as you know I had knocking noises before this was fitted and I still have them now have no idea of the cause. I suppose the kit could be adding to the noises but I wouldn't know.

To be honest I've thrown so much money at trying to stop it and not been able to I have just given up. I just drive everywhere with radio on to drown the sound out.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well as you know I had knocking noises before this was fitted and I still have them now have no idea of the cause. I suppose the kit could be adding to the noises but I wouldn't know.

To be honest I've thrown so much money at trying to stop it and not been able to I have just given up. I just drive everywhere with radio on to drown the sound out.

You've probably written this out so many times that you're sick of it but can you list the symptoms and when exactly it happens mate? i.e. driving at speed, driving slow, dry steering etc...

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Firstly, I had a similar problem to this when a garage swapped out my OEM suspension and fitted the top mounts not lined up properly, this caused a popping sound when on three quarters lock to the left. ABP diagnosed this and fixed it.

Ok on my problem:

Knocking sound coming from the front right suspension/engine bay area. It occurs when going over a bump/poor road surface

Things I have tried:

Two new sets of droplinks
Bump stops
New springs OEM
New struts OEM
ARB bush
bilstein coilovers
Alignment

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Have you or ABP checked the tie rod ends for play?

Are you sure it's a suspension knock and not something like a poorly fitted windscreen making the noise?
They the things that have bushes in them?

Windscreen... yeah it was poorly fitted and was replaced two years ago. That sound was different to this.

Really have no idea what it is. :-(

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They the things that have bushes in them?

Windscreen... yeah it was poorly fitted and was replaced two years ago. That sound was different to this.

Really have no idea what it is. :-(

No they are like ball joints. Best way to check is to jack the side in question up and make sure it's safe on an axle stand and then grab the wheel at 12 & 6, then at 9 & 3 and check for any play.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

This issue started to come back and after much research and testing I have FINALLY (he says while crossing all his fingers and toes) solved the problem.

I have installed a needle thrust bearing in place of the blue plastic collar at the base of the spring (where is touches the perch collar). This allows the spring to move freely under twisting load instead of trying to move and then all of a sudden turning and making the pop noise I was getting. I also installed some vacuum piping on sections of the springs to protect them and stop them banging against each other on harsh roads (this has stopped a harsh clunking noise on harsh bumps :D ).

I'm still shocked that I'm the only one who has had this issue with my coilovers :( everybody else's have been fine haven't they guys?

Here are some piccys of what I've installed and a couple of videos showing how easily the spring spins before and after the thrust bearing.

Standard blue collar:

2007 Honda Civic Type R :: bf08e8a3.mp4 video by parsco88 - [email protected]@[email protected]@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid39.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fe171%2Fparsco88%2F2007%2520Honda%2520Civic%2520Type%2520R%[email protected]@[email protected]@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid39.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fe171%2Fparsco88%2F2007%2520Honda%2520Civic%2520Type%2520R%2Fbf08e8a3.mp4

Thrust bearing installed:

2007 Honda Civic Type R :: cfd3d148.mp4 video by parsco88 - [email protected]@[email protected]@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid39.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fe171%2Fparsco88%2F2007%2520Honda%2520Civic%2520Type%2520R%[email protected]@[email protected]@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid39.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fe171%2Fparsco88%2F2007%2520Honda%2520Civic%2520Type%2520R%2Fcfd3d148.mp4

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi
All very interesting stuff Parsco - actually I don't understand most of it (lol) however I did notice that you said you said you had a clunking sound when you went over harsh bumps.
I do too on my 2008 ES (30.000 miles) that I bought 2 weeks ago and I'm trawling the forums trying to find out if it's a known problem (and it's solution) - I've just driven my Honda Jazz somewhere and though it still has the 'hard drive' that Honda is known for, it is soooo much smoother and quieter over the bumps that my Civic is...
Help ....

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi
All very interesting stuff Parsco - actually I don't understand most of it (lol) however I did notice that you said you said you had a clunking sound when you went over harsh bumps.
I do too on my 2008 ES (30.000 miles) that I bought 2 weeks ago and I'm trawling the forums trying to find out if it's a known problem (and it's solution) - I've just driven my Honda Jazz somewhere and though it still has the 'hard drive' that Honda is known for, it is soooo much smoother and quieter over the bumps that my Civic is...
Help ....

Could be the drop links need replacing. Get them checked out mate ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts