2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Keep On Vtec'ing!
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya Guys,

Im in the process of buying a 2007 CTR with 50,000 miles for £7900, Ive had a test drive and it drove really nice but i felt there was a problem with the brakes i.e. may need new pads/discs. I put a deposit down on the car of £400 and advised that i wanted the AA to do a vehicle inspection report before i went any further. Dealer was happy for me to do this.

Just had the report back from the AA and its shown up that the battery wont hold a charge, front pads are worn and front/rear discs are corroded and the one thing that does worry me is that the Coolent System fails to pressurise when then engine is hot. Ive spoken to the AA engineer and he advised that with the Coolent System it could be anything from an ill fitting pipe to possibly the head gasket.

When i spoke to the dealer on the phone today he initially thought i meant liquid was leaking from the Coolent System until i advised that their was no pressure when the engine is hot. Dealer thought the rear discs were fine and was i okay if they changed only the fronts, i advised that the report has said that all 4 discs are corroded and would only purchase the vehicle once everything has been sorted out.

He stated that his mechanic would be in either tommorow or the day after so would get him to look at the brakes and the Coolent System (He was happy to change the battery)

Not sure exactly what im asking here (prob just peace of mind lol) but clearly the Coolent System is the main issue at the forefront of my mind. If the dealer comes back and says theres nothing wrong with it should i bail out of this purchase and where would i stand with the deposit in asking for it back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because i really would like to own a CTR but clearly i dont want to purchase one that may cost me a load of money after purchasing it with things going wrong :)

(Not exactly the best first post i know lol)

Thanks

James

·
Yorkshire Jedi
373 Posts
I agree with above, my 2007 plate with 15k on the clock cost £9k from Honda

May want to keep looking....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi I assume you haven't checked the for sale section as I am currently selling my 2008 11000 miles type r gt in Milano red for £9000 there are quite a few on there

With regards to your deposit say you put it down in good faith that the car was mechanically sound obviously it isn't that should get your money back

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
hello & welcome to :civinfo: :)

as others have posted, if you have any doubts at all.....walk away!

i've been looking at CTR's for a while now and there are plenty of decent examples out there especially if you can stretch your budget.

good luck with it!!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Stay well clear it sounds like a lemon. I have had my CTR for over a year and never missed a beat. There is plenty around.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I'd walk away, too. But you may have lost that £400 you put down :(

Welcome to the forum, Snoopy :)

·
Keep On Vtec'ing!
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the information, yeah i have informed dealer that im not going forward with the purchase. Have spotted another CTR GT with Rage Alloys, 40,000 miles FSH in Milano Red and looks very clean, Dealer is wanting £8k.

GF has spoken to dealer and there happy for me to test drive if they still have it at the weekend. Cross fingers its still there and no-one purchases it either tonight or tommorow lol

Also have another one lined up to see at Honda dealer in Gatwick although there asking for £8900 given that our budget is £8k i think we are a bit optimistic in trying to get it for £8k but will have to see what happens.

Will update once the weekend is here :D

·
Keep On Vtec'ing!
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well ive managed to find a very nice 30,000 CTR in Black for £8700 from a main Honda Dealer and picked it up today and all was well until a couple of miles from my house......

Engine oil light kept flashing on and off so pulled over and checked oil and everythingwas fine. Now as i pull away there is now a very loud tapping noise......

Called Honda Care and they sent out the AA. The AA bloke seems to think its the bearing on the conrod...?? and has declared that the car isn't safe to drive until this is fixed. :(

Im truly gutted.........first thing tommorow i'm contacting the dealer to expect the car back tommorow on the back of an AA truck and get this fixed.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this guys? :(

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Well ive managed to find a very nice 30,000 CTR in Black for £8700 from a main Honda Dealer and picked it up today and all was well until a couple of miles from my house......

Engine oil light kept flashing on and off so pulled over and checked oil and everythingwas fine. Now as i pull away there is now a very loud tapping noise......

Called Honda Care and they sent out the AA. The AA bloke seems to think its the bearing on the conrod...?? and has declared that the car isn't safe to drive until this is fixed. :(

Im truly gutted.........first thing tommorow i'm contacting the dealer to expect the car back tommorow on the back of an AA truck and get this fixed.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this guys? :(
Wow I'm gutted for you. It's definitely a good thing you bought from a Honda Dealer.

·
Keep On Vtec'ing!
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone know if im going to have a tough time getting Honda to sort this out?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
I would walk into that dealership kick up such a fuss tell them your reporting them to honda uk, say you have saved your hard earned money to buy the car you have always wanted only to be sold a shed. Honestly the engines are decent so this seems like it's been uncared for from the previous owner and how did they not spot this problem when they got it fit for re-sale. You are entitled for a FULL refund and this is what i would ask for, walk away from the car it sounds a serious problem, don't back down if they refuse, threaten them with small claims tell them you don't want that car back and could they do a deal on another type r. Ring honda uk inform them with your problem tell them your upset lay it on thick as they are taking complaints seriously now. It's a real bummer mate i would be gutted don't back down from this and don't have the car back, sit outside the dealership wait till customers are in there and go in blazing they will pap themselves.

·
Keep On Vtec'ing!
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:(

So im assuming that i shouldnt even let them offer to repair it then? The car is in really good condition apart from this happening.... :( is it expensive with whats gone wrong?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

1 - 20 of 141 Posts