2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have had a bit of a search of the forum and I don't think it is possible but I am looking for confirmation.

I have a 2007 1.8 EX. I bought it about 18 months ago.

What happens if my radio buttons stop working on my key?
I can open the car with the key and start the engine but how do I stop the alarm?
What is the point of being able to open the car with the key if I can't stop the alarm?

Yesterday morning the buttons didn't work to unlock the car. After tapping the key on the ground it started working and has worked since but has left me paranoid.
I didn't get the spare key with the car, the dealer never received it and after writing to the previous keeper to see if they had it, I received no response.

Cheers,

Sean.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Wouldn't unlocking the car with the key shut it off? Im not sure but possibly once the central locking is deactivated the alarm turns off, regardless if it's unlocked remotely or not.

As I say I'm not 100% and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong! you could always go out to the car and check

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wouldn't unlocking the car with the key shut it off? Im not sure but possibly once the central locking is deactivated the alarm turns off, regardless if it's unlocked remotely or not.

As I say I'm not 100% and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong! you could always go out to the car and check
If it's like another car I had then no, the system just thinks someone is tampering and triggers the alarm.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately opening the car with the key will set the alarm off. I have tried this before. Totally stupid on Honda's part if you ask me. What is the point of being able to open the door manually if you can't stop the alarm?

I have not replaced the battery in the 18 months I have had the car so I have no idea when it was last replaced.
Even if I do replace the battery it doesn't really really solve the problem though. The key fob could still stop working or go faulty for any number of reasons,

Cheers,

Sean.

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
I Sean
As farqui said buddy replace the battery with a good quality one like I use "Energizer" and you shouldn't have a problem, as soon as the power starts to run low in the battery its the first tell tale sign mate, not turning off the alarm or even unlocking the doors.

If you feel the need for a spare id look for a local locksmith that has the facility to cut and code a key, the going rate should be about £85 mark, obviously Honda charge much much more than this.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I definitely will be replacing the battery, they don't cost much.

I guess then that my original suspicion is confirmed in that there is no other way to turn the alarm off without the buttons?

Cheers,

Sean.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought a pair of new batteries (good to have a spare) for a whole £2.49 on Amazon. Energizer CR1616.
It will do no harm to replace it,

Cheers,

Sean.

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Spot on fella Like you say for £2.47 if that fix's your problem as I suspect it may then it's well worth it.

Wardy
:wink3:

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
One of our keys completely failed tonight not been able to change the battery as the screw chewed up as soon as I tried to unscrew it, despite it being the right size and fine on the other key . I guess the only option is to go for a flip key conversion now?

Really silly of Honda not to have an emergency alarm override like other manufacturers do though

·
Super Moderator
2,387 Posts
im not so sure the battery change will solve your problem
i had a problem with 1 off my remotes a while back it was tempremental
whenever i had to open the car with the key the alarm never went off

·
Registered
876 Posts
Really silly of Honda not to have an emergency alarm override like other manufacturers do though
This unlocking with the fob only is to meet UK thatcham requirements for security, it's only like this on RHD models, LHD models turn the alarm off using the key in the door lock.

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
Interesting point.

I'm sure there used to be a sequence where if you opened the door, with the key, then started the engine or turned on the ignition within a set time the alarm would be silenced.

If not then you're going to be driving to work with the alarm blaring until you find and install a new fob battery?

How long do the fob batteries last? Mine are now 4 years old and seem to be OK. Every year at service time I switch fobs so mine have had 2 years usage each.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
My car is over four years old and my fob battery Lasted just under four years. I started using the spare fob. This battery only lasted a few weeks before I had to change it. It seems that the battery last about four years whether you use them or not.

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
Well this thread has been a timely warning, I think.

I looked up keyfob batteries and expected life. The answer seemed to be 3 to 4 years.

Mine are 4 years.

Went and got some 1616's from Maplin and they are in.

During the battery change I accidentally pressed the buttons, with the cover off and I noted the weak red pilot light. Didn't think any more about it.

Then when reassembling the keyfob I again accidentally pressed the buttons and the pilot light is now considerably brighter.

:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts