2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Matty
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

On Friday i was driving down a normal country lane in the dark and i suddenly smashed into a pot hole (passenger side). So the next day i had a quick look over and much to my amusement the pot hole has now rearranged my 19" Rage alloy.

As you can imagine i was not too pleased. I also think it would have done some damage to the bearings etc as i can feel it knocking and juddering as i drive.

Any advise on if you guys think the wheel can be repaired and what route i should take regarding claims... Or where i might be able to get another wheel. Has any one else been in a similar situation?

Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Thats really bad. Must have been a big old pot hole. Good luck claiming for it though, the local council here doesnt seem to give a ****.

Best bet would be to get down there and photograph the pot hole with something for size comparison, even a ruler to show how big it it etc. Also do the same with your damaged wheel. Then get onto your local council about it and see what they say.

·
Matty
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats really bad. Must have been a big old pot hole. Good luck claiming for it though, the local council here doesnt seem to give a ****.

Best bet would be to get down there and photograph the pot hole with something for size comparison, even a ruler to show how big it it etc. Also do the same with your damaged wheel. Then get onto your local council about it and see what they say.
Ive been down and taken photos of the pothole and its position in the road etc. I cant imagine the council are going to be very helpful regarding a claim... but im going to go through with it the best i can, as i can see it costing £300 + once its been looked at and what not.

·
Off-Road Nut!!!
303 Posts
You could try speaking to your insurance company and see if they will approach the council on your behalf. The council may pay more attention to a big company than an individual. :wink3:

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
You could try speaking to your insurance company and see if they will approach the council on your behalf. The council may pay more attention to a big company than an individual. :wink3:
I would not because next year your insurance will go up by 50% just because you told them of an incident. Don't belive me then Google it :wink3:

The knocking when driving will be caused by the wheel and there is a company in Doncaster who can repair buckled alloy wheels

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
RickHondaR your 100% right about the insurance, any incident you report, goes against you and they will wack u for it come time for renewal, its all a rating system

·
Off-Road Nut!!!
303 Posts
I would not because next year your insurance will go up by 50% just because you told them of an incident. Don't belive me then Google it :wink3:

The knocking when driving will be caused by the wheel and there is a company in Doncaster who can repair buckled alloy wheels
If my insurance went up by 50% it would still be cheaper than a new wheel/tyre etc. I would also be looking for a new company. :smile3:

·
Matty
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cant afford for my insurance to go up. Im 21... you can imagine what its already like.

I'll try the business in Cannock as im only in Wolverhampton.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,282 Posts
Exactly my word follwed by omppffff xD

You may be "lucky" and the judder is just from the alloy as even a simple unbalanced one is high noticeable.

Reactions: Farqui

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
If my insurance went up by 50% it would still be cheaper than a new wheel/tyre etc. I would also be looking for a new company. :smile3:
Don't matter the strike will apply to all companies and would take 2-3 years to get the premium back down and yes speaking from experience as I had someone damage our car while parked years ago and never claimed on my insurance but used the legal services to put the other owner in court. Her insurance paid out and the legal services is nothing to do with my policy but had to tell my insurance what had happened for the contact information etc. I was not even in the car when this happened and used cctv against the other party but my insurance went up from £320 to £512 on renewal and all other companies were around the same if not more.

Yes it stinks but this is fact

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
You need to try and glamour from the council failing that alloy repair if it can be done or a new or second hand wheel will be required. Plus side is if you buy a set of 4 rages my guess is they will fetch a good price each if you sell the other 3

·
Matty
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need to try and glamour from the council failing that alloy repair if it can be done or a new or second hand wheel will be required. Plus side is if you buy a set of 4 rages my guess is they will fetch a good price each if you sell the other 3
mmmm, I've been on the Martin Lewis' website and theres a whole guide there on the best way to claim for pothole damages. I am going to have to get it all fixed... THEN claim what it all cost, so i don't just pocket the money before its fixed, if you win the claim.

Side note* The council make it SO HARD to do!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
They're only liable (the Council) if they knew about it. A pothole can appear at any time, in any road, and they aren't liable for that.

Chances of getting anything.... low.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
hi matty
as you are from Wolverhampton I work in a garage in willenhall and will be in the garage in Saturday doing a couple of jobs on my own car if it is sutable to you bring your car down and I will check it over to see if theres any damage other than the wheel
I don't mind spending some time to help out a fellow forum member
I can also give you a written quote for the wheel repair to help out with the claim if you are going down that route

I hope this helps jox

·
Matty
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi matty
as you are from Wolverhampton I work in a garage in willenhall and will be in the garage in Saturday doing a couple of jobs on my own car if it is sutable to you bring your car down and I will check it over to see if theres any damage other than the wheel
I don't mind spending some time to help out a fellow forum member
I can also give you a written quote for the wheel repair to help out with the claim if you are going down that route

I hope this helps jox
Jox, If you are willing to do that i would be very appreciative. I don't mind paying for your time and buying you a pack of beers... its the least i can do! I am in Liverpool on Saturday morning and should be back in Wolves by around 12, so i can be in Willenhall around 1 ish? (if thats inconvenient timing then let me know)

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts