2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've been scanning this forum for a while now and what a great forum, I wasn't even interested in the Civic until I sat in it at the motorshow ten I was amazed at how good it is. I was looking at getting either the new TT or clio 197 (cheap fun) but the way petrol and everything is increasing in price I thought i would go for a diesel, also do an 80 mile a day roundtrip to work.

Potentially i'm going to buy a Civic 2.2 EX CDTI with 18" alloys, Sunroof and leather

I'm very tempted to buy one but I know this sounds silly I have slight doubts about the quality of the car i.e. cheap bits being used etc.

My previous cars include in order a Citreon Saxo, Peugeot 206cc, BMW 325ci sport convertible, clio 172, Mk V Golf GTi, Mk V Golf GT TDi and I'm currently driving a clio 172 as a temp car again.

How do people rate this car compared the MK V golf for build and quality?

Is the leather good quality i.e. nice like VW and BMW and not cheap like ford, I went to the dealer but they didn't have one with leather in stock.

I have a test drive on Saturday then I will make my mind up, I need to get it out of my head that it's not an old man's car any more.

One last question, I saw this at the motorshow and thought it was nice, does anyone know what kit this car has on it? I think I caught some stranger unaware :D I have attached this.

Cheers for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
I drove Mazda 3, Golf 1.6, Toyota Corolla and Seat Leon.

Beats them all in interior quality and overall quality imho. But the dashboard is VERY easy to scratch...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Leather is not available in Finland so i dont know abt that. The bodykit is propably front + rear spoiler.

Correction.

I think it has the grandprix pack, side skirts + front and rear spoilers. It's a real ripoff.. 1500 € + installation

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Or is that the image pack, dunno. I came out of a '04 Golf GT TDI into the Civic, and the Civic is by far my favorite of the 2, more refined, smoother power delivery and if anything a little nippier between 50 - 70 on the motorway, it just loves to pull in 6th gear. Don't have the leather myself or the glass roof, but I have no issues with the build quality, the doors sound as welll built if not more so than any other car around, a nice solid thud when closed, and they do close remarkably easily even with the gentlest of pushes.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Hello sw1!

The interior is very good quality overall. Only cheaper feeling bits are the fuel filler cap and perhaps even front door handles.

No idea about leather, someone else has a better view on that.

You might want to read Jeremy Clarkson's review of the Civic from the Sunday Times website.

It might not help about your fears of the car being a pensioners wet dream, but the parts where he talks about build quality really do sum it up.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1935705,00.html

P.S. absolutely no pun intended, elfa7 and others :wink:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Its not an old peoples car, although I have seen a few driving them, its too much fun and looks far too good for an old peoples car. But if you are worried, wait for the Type-R.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers for the replies, gotta be a diesel otherwise it would be a new TT.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the diesel engines like.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
The diesel is very quiet (as diesels go) although you can tell its running, the torque is super, and you can always get it chipped. MPG is into the 50's on a run, I'm averaging around 48 on a tank full, which would be great if it wasn't so bloody expensive.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The i-ctdi is a lovely car to drive, excellent engine, nice handling, firm, but fair ride, comfortable, roomy and generally well made........but there are a few issues in my humble opinion:

The leather is OK, not the best quality I have seen, but you do also get heated seats with leather, which makes it better value.
The electronic dash looks nice, but others have had scratching trouble, and its not great in bright sunlight. The 'trip computer' functions are easy and work well.
The steering wheel mounted controls for audio, cruise etc are convenient, and work well
The radio part of the audio is rather insensitive, and being built in, hard to do anything about - my 'standard' set has average sound quality. The RDS part works rather less well than my previous Honda.
The hands free telephone (on an EX) has microphone problems that make it unusable at speed (some here have worked hard to try and fix this). The voice dialing even when stationary is very slow.
The voice control for the car controls seems to suffer from noise too, and is desperately slow - however since the normal controls are both well sited, and work well the voice control is (luckily) unnecessary - otherwise you would have to slow down every time you wanted to make a change!
The SatNav works well, though the pre-installed list of car parks, restaurants etc is a complete joke! It occasionally takes bizarre routes, but is easy to use, and does get you to the right place. Again - its not great in bright sunlight.
Visibility rearwards is poor, though the good mirrors offset this pretty well
I get a little over 50 mpg overall, and about 53/55 on a trip being gentle as only 750 miles on the clock so far. I would expect overall to get 47 to 50 I think when I use it a bit harder.

Overall its a great car, my third Honda, but some of the fancier bits on the EX are best treated as 'fun gadgets' rather than essentials!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your honest review, it'ds nice to see a balanced review.

I'm not expecting it to be perfect for the money it cost , most of the the extra's of the EX would be seen as gadgets that I would hardly use.

By the way are HID headlights Xenons?

I've had a quote for a fully loaded EX wtih 18"s, leather and sunroof in metallic for £19100, anyone seen any better they can recommend? I was looking at drivethedeal.co.uk, I used them for Golf GTi previoulsy and had no issues.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
richierich said:
Its not an old peoples car, although I have seen a few driving them, its too much fun and looks far too good for an old peoples car. But if you are worried, wait for the Type-R.
Age is relative and always will be :wink:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi sw1,

I think they are gas discharge types (Xenons?) - anyway - they are pretty good. main beam (which has to go on and off a lot) is a 'normal' halogen, but dip, which stays on all the time is the discharge type.

I have been lucky to have a range of cars over the years from Minis to a V12 Jaguar, and this Civic is a 'good un'. However the 'toys' - as so many toys, are great to play with, but not much use for everyday dependability in my view. If you take the view they are toys, you will have some fun and a laugh with them, and not be upset when they are less than perfect, which they will undoubtedly be!

Get the one with the toys, enjoy them on the basis that under all the gadgets like voice control there is a great car, with a well thought out and well made set of 'normal' controls for everything!

One caveat - I havn't tried them, but not everyone who has tried 18" wheels liked them - see other posts. They apparently do nothing for either the ride or stability, even if they do look the part!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi SW1,

I have a 2005 Golf GT TDi (wife's car really mine is a Pasat 130bhp 1.9 TDi Highline same year).

One of my instructors has the 2.2 es bought 25.03.06 and just about to go in for the 25,000 mile service. A stunning car and one I will be getting if I don't opt for a New White Type R next year!

I have driven the Civic and been a passenger many times. Had it for two weeks recently and covered about 1500 miles. The car in my opinion is better than the Golf and the Passat.

Only last week 4 of us (adults and I'm not the lightest) went for a 300 mile round trip for a run to enjoy the day out. General mix of driving and the car returned 56.9 mpg!

By all means PM me if you want any more info or thoughts.

p.s. my instructor and good friend is quite clear already that when he changes the car about Jan/Feb next year he will be going for another New Civic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Onboardtraining

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice to see some reviews from real world drivers and their expereinces, a lot of other forums just tend to moan about various things without having driven the car.

I'm looking forward to my testdrive now on Saturday.

Does the car handle round corners well? I'm not one to throw cars into corners at silly speeds

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Handling is fantastic (as is everything else about the car); it corners like it's on rails.

Enjoy your test drive, then, when you place your order (as you will), count off every last minute of every day until you take delivery; just like we all have!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
You may recall or have read in the past how great the latest Mondeo's "handle", and I loved it... my wife didn't... try and take a corner or roundabout at any reasonable speed and she ends up on my knee - the firmer suspension on the Civic and it's overall superior handling have made her (and me) very happy. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
allan40alt said:
Handling is fantastic (as is everything else about the car); it corners like it's on rails.

Enjoy your test drive, then, when you place your order (as you will), count off every last minute of every day until you take delivery; just like we all have!

I think after you test drive you will be making that order for your new Honda, but the handling is good it's not on rails like allan said, especially if your coming from a 172. My wife currently has the 182 and there is a big difference on handling but they are 2 totally different cars, with the Honda winning hands down on everything except performance and handling. If you doing a lot of miles i would stick with the 17's as the 18" storms don't help much, just look fantastic.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Hi Fedorov, most women 'flop around' on corners. It's because they sit differently to men. A man sits with legs akimbo giving him a more stable position; wereas a woman sits with her knees together; making her 'top heavy'. Also, a man's shoulders are often broader and 'fit' the seat better. Men passengers also see the road ahead (only glancing at a pretty women on the footpath) and women are looking at all the shops as they pass. I'm not being sexist, just pointing out a fact.

My wife also noticed she is more stable and says this is the best car she's travelled in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts