2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Civinfo'ers!

On my way back from work on Friday evening I hit a pothole (which genuinely came out of nowhere!) and boy did it make a noise! Made my spine jiggle!

Checked my wheel and tyre quickly and couldn't notice anything - it was late evening... came to my car Saturday morning and have now found there is a bubble in the tyre wall... looks like a boil.

Basically the piece of road I hit is here:
blackstone edge - Google Maps

And I drove past yesterday to look at the pot hole in the light and its TERRIBLE.

I definitely need a new tyre - I am going to get a part worn off a friend to last me a couple of weeks - (cheeky discount on its way)

I have attached a few photos of the tyre in question.

Is there a successful way anyone has claimed for a new tyre/ wheel?
The missus is skeptical - as I am but certainly want to try.
I read a website telling me the exact way to do it but seems as if it would cost me more than a new tyre!

If anyone has a Michelin Pilot Primacy 225/45/17 knocking about I'll take it off your hands :)

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Rim

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Synthetic rubber

Cheers guys!!

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LUCKILY I bought a kerbed alloy about 4 months ago from eBay which I can put on for now.
Could you ask him his exact procedure?
Does it matter whether there is the white circle around it?
They filled a few in 10 yards further down the road but not this one... how long did it take?
Apologies for all the questions :)

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
isnt there a website called potholes.co.uk to claim from

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
I claimed from the highways agency and got my money for a burst tyre. Just take photos of the pothole, with something as a reference if you can (ideally with measurements, but I just used my hand).

I phoned them, they sent me a claim form, I sent it back. Simples, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it may be a claim to them as it is national speed limit and I THINK the roads their responsibility.. we shall see - the missus is coming to take some photographs (she has a fancy camera) .. stupid pot holes!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
took photos today - whilst avoiding Range Rovers and Bikers... have a goosey!
Asphalt Soil Road surface Geology Concrete

Asphalt Soil Road surface Geology Concrete

Asphalt Road surface Sand Tar Road

Soil Compost

Soil Hand Geology Asphalt

Tape measure Soil Geology Rock

Soil Finger Hand Geology Rock

Geology Soil Rock Bedrock Geological phenomenon

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
I did this on my bike not long back claimed for a new wheel.
You need to find out the authority who is meant to service the roads, write a snotty letter threatening legal action unless your damages are paid. Attach pictures of road, pothole and damage to yours.
Rochdale council paid up for me on this, but if they don't press legal action, they are responsible for it.

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
The white circle means that they have highlighted it as a problem to be fixed, meaning someone else has reported it more than likely, this will have no effect on your claim as they obviously haven't filled it quickly enough.
Plenty of help on google mate :)

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
It's always worth a claim if Theres a blame there's a claim hahaha! Go through the root of writing letters yourself etc price of a few stamps or even email hardest part is finding the right person to contact it should be fairly cheap to attempt a claim unless you go through proper legal help but that's more a thing to do if all your suspension etc was damaged

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used the pothole website above!
I sent in an FOI to Rochdale Council, reported the pothole, taken photos.
I just dont know at which point to ask Rochdale Council for the compensation form/ alert them that they owe me some monies!!

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
having cliamed for pot hole damage on my last car get a date for incident, and keep an eye out for when they repair it, when i claimed they refused to pay out but after a few letters ( including photos of wheel and pot hole) they caved in, what helped was they claimed it was fixed with a reasonable amount of time, but i managed to prove that they knew of the pothole within days ( i knew someone else who hit the same one the day before i did but only discovered this after they refused to pay out the first time) and proved that it took them over 2 moths to fix so wasnt done within a reasonable time,
I have been told most councils will firstly refuse but do tend to cave in when you argue your case but might take 3 or 4 letters,
quoting that it is their responsibility to keep the roads in a safe condition by fixing potholes within a reasonable timeframe is useful, if the road has a footpath you could claim you could have lost control/swerved violently to avoid potentially mounting the cerb which isnt worth thinking about.......
best of luck mate

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got a new tyre... the wheel is 100% fine and the tyre shop suggested I keep the tyre for evidence...they mentioned somebody once sent one to the Highways Agency Chief Executive as special delivery... legend...
but mine is under the duristriction of Rochdale Council so I shall email them for a claim form and keep you guys updated... the rest is in the hands of the gods!!! (council workers)

·
World Traveller
1,814 Posts
Yeah, but dont drive with that tire on unless your on the way to the garage or w/e to get a new one because any tears or bulges make a tire illegal, if you got pulled with that on you could be running the risk of getting 3 points

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Changed the tyre first day the tyre shops were open.
The previous tyre is in my boot...
Lets fill in the claim form and see what occurs...

·
The Party Organizer!
734 Posts
Good on you, Michael! We pay so much tax and everything, the least they can do is pay for the damage caused by the pothole! Tyres don't come cheap!
What's fair is fair!
Please keep us posted, and once again, well done!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.