2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Having an issue with my passenger mirror where it sometimes folds very slowly and other times not at all, i recentlyreplaced the SOD thinking that would cure it.

Could this be something to do with the motor perhaps.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I have the same problem with my passenger side mirror. It's not folding completely.

Is the SOD unit easy to take off? I have not tried this before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Search YouTube for 8th Gen Honda Civic Electric Mirror Shut off Device Repair.

I can't post a link as I've only just joined the forum.

Have a watch of this. It's pretty straightforward.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
No need to search elsewhere, we have people here who do it.

Plus there's a tutorial here somewhere if you want to have a DIY go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A dumb question (?) - do all 8 gen civics come with folding mirrors? Mine seems to be without them or I don't know how to engage them...

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Look on your arm rest controls. If there's a little mirror symbol on a button then you have it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I'd also like to know as the same happens but on my driver side. It only seems to fold half way

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Forgive my ignorance (I'm more Computer Tech than Car Tech) what is SOD?

SOD is device inside each mirror which controls folding and unfolding and when poly switch on it starts failing then happens problem like you wrote. Nit folding all the way or not folding at all. On link I gave you on last page is device itself and how to repair it and where is located in mirror.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Forgive my ignorance (I'm more Computer Tech than Car Tech) what is SOD?

S.O.D = Shut Off Device.
It's a tiny polyswitch which over time fails in the small unit mounted in the mirror housing. Very easy to replace and costs pennies and 45 mins of your time. Tools required are, soldering iron, penknife, wire snippers, hot glue gun, posts on the forum show you how and the polyswitches are available in packs of five or so very cheaply on the net or from good high street electronic component suppliers.
Trickiest part of the job is prising the mirror glass off to access the clip holding the housing pod on, just gently prise around the glass it comes off eventually and is a safer way of doing the job than forcing the housing off by the pushing method some describe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My folding mirrors both sides don't fold when I lock the car.

So I guess it's a fuse problem.

Which fuse and where please?

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
My folding mirrors both sides don't fold when I lock the car.

So I guess it's a fuse problem.

Which fuse and where please?
If you don't have installed auto folding module mirrors won't fold when locking car only when you fold them via button in car. Auto folding was never option on civic till 9G.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
It's an fn2 TypeR, comes as standard.
As far as I know mate all civics from 2006-2012 newer had folding mirrors via remote only on button in car. Civic got this option after 2012 on 9G. You can see in wiki car brochure all specs. Think that was installed afterwords.

·
Registered
37 Posts
All TypeR fn2 had folding mirrors.

I press the button in the car and they don't fold.

I lock the car and they don't fold.

Consensus = fuse gone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts