2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my power folding mirrors has become a bit weak when folding, sometimes it folds ok, other times it seems to struggle to fold correctly and folds really slowly, sometimes stopping before becoming fully folded.

Can the mechanism be lubricated, if so, does anyone know how to get to it to lubricate it, or is it on its way out ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
One of my power folding mirrors has become a bit weak when folding, sometimes it folds ok, other times it seems to struggle to fold correctly and folds really slowly, sometimes stopping before becoming fully folded.

Can the mechanism be lubricated, if so, does anyone know how to get to it to lubricate it, or is it on its way out ?

Thanks
Hi...could be the motor isn't catching or is on it's way out.:(

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics/46688-electric-wing-mirror-issue.html#post743601

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/lights/5281-wing-mirror-bulbs.html#post68809

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesnt look or sound like it is catching, it starts off folding at normal speed and then just slows down before it fully retracts, most of the time it folds ok, just sometimes it stops short.

The folding motion still looks relatively smooth, just appears to slow down too early.

If I press the button to fold back out and then back in again, I can mostly get it to fold in to the correct position.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
The regulator module inside the mirror fails, causing slow fold-in and eventual failure.

Rather than replacing the whole motor, this regulator can be replaced by the dealer and fixes the problem :)

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
My car is in the dealers as I type this getting the motor and indicator unit replaced. I have an after market warranty that covers most of the cost (I have to pay £50 towards it) which is some relief, but if I was to pay for the job entirely out of my own pocket it would cost me £277 inc VAT!

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
Check the other threads on this as I think someone just ordered the part and is about to fit themselves.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
If I didn't have warranty for the car I would've attempted to fix it myself. I asked Honda for the parts they removed and I'm going to get one of my electronical technicians to have a go at repairing the duff one so I can re-sell it. Thats the thing with dealerships nowadays, it's easier for them to bolt another one in it's place than attempt to repair the broken one. My wing mirror indicator unit also stopped working for some reason so again, I'll see if my sparky can repair it and flog it on!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I didn't have warranty for the car I would've attempted to fix it myself. I asked Honda for the parts they removed and I'm going to get one of my electronical technicians to have a go at repairing the duff one so I can re-sell it. Thats the thing with dealerships nowadays, it's easier for them to bolt another one in it's place than attempt to repair the broken one. My wing mirror indicator unit also stopped working for some reason so again, I'll see if my sparky can repair it and flog it on!
Did yours have similar problems to mine, weak folding ?

If you manage to get the part repair and want to sell it let me know the cost and I may buy it off you. Was it easy to change ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've only done it the once to check if it was power fold because the guy I bought it from said I was, I folded it in then back out again then found out it was an electric one, what can I do now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
more torque than the mrs
6,764 Posts
I've only done it the once to check if it was power fold because the guy I bought it from said I was, I folded it in then back out again then found out it was an electric one, what can I do now?

are you saying it does not fold anymore when you press the power fold button? you may have snapped the shaft that turns the mirror if that's the case new mirror required. what trim level is your car se es ex ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I press the button to fold away it nudges abit and becomes loose as if it's trying to fold but if I press the button again to open then it becomes firm and stays in place. It's an es.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,764 Posts
When I press the button to fold away it nudges abit and becomes loose as if it's trying to fold but if I press the button again to open then it becomes firm and stays in place. It's an es.

i think if its loose then its damaged the folding mechanism, i'm not sure if this part can be bought separate or you have to buy the whole mirror,ebay ones approx £100 not cheap ,good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've managed to send it back to the seller on eBay. On the look out for another. Cheers for your help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts