2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cars a 2006 2.2ES, 117k miles. Was driving it today, went to overtake at about 45 mpg and heard a squeal like sound momentarily, then all of the a sudden the had power loss. The car can now barely accelerate over 40 and when try to accelerate I can hear a loud whirring sound, it gets louder the more I try and accelerate. There's no warning lights come on, no engine management light on. Any ideas?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
My cars a 2006 2.2ES, 117k miles. Was driving it today, went to overtake at about 45 mpg and heard a squeal like sound momentarily, then all of the a sudden the had power loss. The car can now barely accelerate over 40 and when try to accelerate I can hear a loud whirring sound, it gets louder the more I try and accelerate. There's no warning lights come on, no engine management light on. Any ideas?
Do your revs go up but you're going nowhere faster? If it was in Limp mode there'd be an Engine Management Light on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was serviced just over year ago...so is due service now. It performs like the turbo is not functioning however there is smoke coming out of the exhaust. It revs freely but the more I rev it the louder the whirring sound becomes. Don't have obd reader but wasn't sure if this would help anyway as no engine warning light is appearing!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It had slightly higher pitch sound than a balloon popping. Once that happened started making strange noise when trying to accelerate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
First thing to check would be whether the boost pipes have not come off (black rubber pipes that go from turbo to intercooler to intake manifold), that would be the easiest and least serious thing to fix. Next you better pray the turbo is not shot

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this straight forward to check or do I need to dismantle anything to be able to reach these?

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
Pop the engine cover off, 4 10mm nuts and with the engine running see if you can find/feel any air blowing from the IC pipework. The rubber pipework can split.

Turn off your AC to prevent the condensor fans kicking in every few seconds.

Let me see if I can find you some pic's.

Be careful not to get clothing caught in the belts ;)

While the cover is off, see if any of the injectors are blowing.

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
The turbo sits at the back of the engine and a large bore pipe runs to the NSF mounted IC, in front of the wheel.

It then runs up to the inlet manifold.

If in doubt, get it checked out as the smoke and noises you describe are not normal.

If you continue to use the vehicle you may end up with terminal and expensive damage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for this. Just read my earlier message. It should have read there is NO smoke! I'm not driving the car at the mo till its fixed. Happened yesterday done about 5 miles like that just to get home. Will keep you posted. Thanks again

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car has gone into garage today. Have been told can't diagnose turbo fault until they've stripped every apart to be able to access turbo, a 6 hr job in itself. If turbo needs replacing have been told total repair inc fitting will be 1700 :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pop the engine cover off, 4 10mm nuts and with the engine running see if you can find/feel any air blowing from the IC pipework. The rubber pipework can split.

Turn off your AC to prevent the condensor fans kicking in every few seconds.

Let me see if I can find you some pic's.

Be careful not to get clothing caught in the belts ;)

While the cover is off, see if any of the injectors are blowing.
With the car in neutral you wan't have any boosted pressurized air in the pipes, so won't be able to tell if there is a leak. There is a vacuum leak test, you could try in this situation where a you spray a cloudy spray at the pipes and joins and watch to see if the gas gets sucked in anywhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car has gone to another garage for second opinion. They too are indicating turbo fault...with noise the the car makes when accelerating being the bearings. Looking at a price of £1600 if they discover the fault is the turbo, car is only worth about 2.5k max

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The £1,600 is the labour and fitting of a new replacement turbo. They are doing one final inspection to gain access to where turbo is located to see if there are any obvious faults/issues at a cost of £85 before diagnosing the turbo as the problem.

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts