2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please could somebody explain to me why the S2000 using a 2.0Vtec engine produces 243 BHP whilst the civic 2.0Vtec produces 'only' 200BHP??

Is this a cynical marketing ploy by HONDA to preserve the halo of effect of the S2000 - it's own flaghip can't be out performed by a Civic costing £10K less or is it a completely different engine unit fitted??

If the engine is the same - can anyone give any tips on releasing the extra horses - this would surely make it the top performer between all of its rivals??

·
Registered
57 Posts
f20 (s2000) has a shorter stroke and larger bore hence than a k20. the top torque in a s2k is at 7k rpm and with a type-r there is more low-end torque

·
Registered
224 Posts
The S2k also has a different intake and the ECU has a different map completely...

The exhaust is also a larger bore and the the entire VTEC delivery is completely different to the EP3 CTR and the new FN2 type...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Isn't the S2000 engine completley hand built (or hand finished) adding to the cost of production. Also the S2k is reknowned for it's lack of torque so a peaky high revving engine would probably be too much of a compromise for what is a fairly heavy hatchback.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
...and 243 BHP through the front wheels is too much!

·
Registered
393 Posts
...and 243 BHP through the front wheels is too much!
Yep, look at the Mazda 3 MPS, Astra VXR.

Also the K20 series engine in the Japanese Civic Type-R 4 door produces more then 220PS. So the K20 is capable of more, but that doesn't mean the most powerful version is the best for each platform.
The Integra Type-R also used the K20 and had around 220PS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
re: s2000

I think the main reason why they didn't use s2000's engine is that it can't keep up with current eco norms.

Eco norms are also one of the reasons 2.2 cdti has 'only' 140 hp.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
I think the main reason why they didn't use s2000's engine is that it can't keep up with current eco norms.

Eco norms are also one of the reasons 2.2 cdti has 'only' 140 hp.
Interesting point about the 2.2 cdti.Looking at the higher output diesel vw's and Alfa's,they do have diesel particulate filters,while the (uk) Civic 2.2's,keeping things simpler, do'nt:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting point about the 2.2 cdti.Looking at the higher output diesel vw's and Alfa's,they do have diesel particulate filters,while the (uk) Civic 2.2's,keeping things simpler, do'nt:D
?? 2.2 i-CTDIs have DPF installed, it's also in manual!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts