2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great read Pottsy, thanks.

Does the ATS have the same 'lock-in' problem with the power steering? You wrote about this in your first Accord review...

My Accord Tourer has this problem as well. I believe it's the VSA/TSA trying to stabilise your path in a corner. I'm fine with this, as long as I don't notice it everytime!

How do you feel about this issue?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Great read Pottsy, thanks.

Does the ATS have the same 'lock-in' problem with the power steering? You wrote about this in your first Accord review...

My Accord Tourer has this problem as well. I believe it's the VSA/TSA trying to stabilise your path in a corner. I'm fine with this, as long as I don't notice it everytime!

How do you feel about this issue?
No - but I thought this was a problem with the "wrong grease" used on early cars, and can and should be fixed for you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No - but I thought this was a problem with the "wrong grease" used on early cars, and can and should be fixed for you.
Thanks. Sorry for going a bit off topic, but how can grease cause this problem with electronic power steering (EPS)? Is it grease in the steering column, electric motor or in the gears? Was this confirmed by Honda?

I would like to understand the problem before confronting my dealer...

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I don't know exactly. I was at a Honda press event with the blue car in the previous article talking to one of their technical people (I have a suspicion he was very senior) and I mentioned the steering problem. He smiled, and said that I must have sensitive hands, because hardly any customers had mentioned it. He said something like "it's caused by the wrong spec grease in the rack, but we have fixed that now". To be certain, the fault I was feeling was normal steering into a corner, but as you came out of the bend and the steering returned to straight ahead, the steering wheel would stick just before straight ahead and it needed a helping hand to get through this sticky bit.

I am seeing someone today who may be able to shed more light on this, so will report back tonight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Accord power steering lock-in

Maybe we should split this thread?

Indeed, it's the problem you describe. Usually happens in fast long corners. Sometimes I can even take my hand of the steering wheel and will keep going... (no, I don't have LKAS)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
I have driven about 6.000 km and the 'problem' seems less perceptible. Does the power steering require a break-in? Is the cold weather / slippery roads?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
BB,

I forgot to update this thread!

It is a known fault which has affected a number of cars, but is not published in a bulletin. So you have to mention it to your dealer, and he has to phone Honda technical who will tell him what to do (Honda technical know about it).

As it is grease, it may come and go with temperature. If it were me, I'd get it done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts