2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to embark on my first civic project- fitting aux input to my satnav fitted stock head unit.

The idea is to have my phone connected to the Honda HFT system for telephone and also a Bluetooth audio receiver in the glovebox connected to an aux input.

I’ve bought the connects 2 kit, and ordered a Bluetooth receiver so I just need to run power to the little Bluetooth receiver. Would prefer to have a constant live to keep it charged up at all times ready for my phone to connect, it has a micro usb charging port.

What would be the best way of hardwiring a usb cable or power socket into the glovebox?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I’m about to embark on my first civic project- fitting aux input to my satnav fitted stock head unit.

The idea is to have my phone connected to the Honda HFT system for telephone and also a Bluetooth audio receiver in the glovebox connected to an aux input.

I’ve bought the connects 2 kit, and ordered a Bluetooth receiver so I just need to run power to the little Bluetooth receiver. Would prefer to have a constant live to keep it charged up at all times ready for my phone to connect, it has a micro usb charging port.

What would be the best way of hardwiring a usb cable or power socket into the glovebox?

Cut the end off a USB lead and run it to a constant live feed VIA A 12V to 5V CONVERTER - the one in the option connector of the fusebox is easily accessible.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
won't there be more than one wire in a usb cable?
Yes, and you will need to identify which are positive and ground for you to make the connection. The others can be ignored if only used for charging.

This Wikipedia article will help you identify which pins are for which use
USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's very easy with a multimeter to just check which wires are for which pins.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Cut the end off a USB lead and run it to a constant live feed - the one in the option connector of the fusebox is easily accessible.
No... USB powered devices run at 5v (1A), if you cut the USB cable and the connect to fuse box, you will put 12v into your device :(

I assume the OPs bluetooth adapter power cable has a mini USB connector one end (which goes into the bluetooth unit) and either a standard USB male plug at the other which goes into a 12v to 5v adaptor (or is hard wired to one)

andypa1 can you confirm or post some pics.

Normally, the power wires in a USB cable are black (-) and Red (+)... the other two are data wires (normally green and white)

I would suggest getting something like this, mount in or behind glovebox, and wire that to the option connector. Then plug in your USB charger/cable.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
No... USB powered devices run at 5v (1A), if you cut the USB cable and the connect to fuse box, you will put 12v into your device :(

I assume the OPs bluetooth adapter power cable has a mini USB connector one end (which goes into the bluetooth unit) and either a standard USB male plug at the other which goes into a 12v to 5v adaptor (or is hard wired to one)

Normally, the power wires in a USB cable are black (-) and Red (+)... the other two are data wires (normally green and white)

I would suggest getting something like this, mount in or behind glovebox, and wire that to the option connector. Then plug in your USB charger/cable.
THANK YOU. I completely forgot about this when explaining the above.

What I have done in the past is rewire the circuitry from an in-car cig lighter charger so that it is wired rather than plugging into a cig socket... just confused myself there and made a bit of a schoolboy error!
I'll edit my above so I don't mislead anyone.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
THANK YOU. I completely forgot about this when explaining the above.

What I have done in the past is rewire the circuitry from an in-car cig lighter so that it is wired rather than plugging into a cig socket... just confused myself there and made a bit of a schoolboy error!
I'll edit my above so I don't mislead anyone.
Easy done ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You're spot on, it's not mini usb, but the cable is standard male USB to powerplug on the other end... 5v input.

Sorry you didn't put a link in your post, what do I need to buy?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts