2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you fill the hydraulic steering oil ? As i have a griding noise like the pump is dry, it happens when i turn the wheel left or right, and is getting worse, have had it up on the ramp and there is nothing that i can see slight floating in the steering rack but thats all.

If anyone can shed some light on this, i would be grateful.

·
Registered
24 Posts
are ther any hydraulic pipes on the rack? If not then it will be driven by an electric motor, as are a lot of cars post 2005.
if you're not sure get it to your local garage to get it checked out properly before anything goes really wrong!

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
There's no hydraulic pump, but electric steering on the civic. In the steering rack itself, there's a tightening screw that (if tightened too much) can make a grinding noise when turning the steering wheel maximum left/right). I've had my dealer tighten twice, because it has become loose. Could be worth have the dealer check.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I've been getting a similar noise from the steering. Only hear it when moving very slowly (5mph) or car is stopped and when I turn the wheels left or right. Its not very loud at all and its a bit like when a hydraulic steering pump runs out of oil. Any ideas what it could be? I've just had a new set of front brake pads and discs and the back ones are good too so it cant be the brakes.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
hi all,

Im definitely getting a noise when i steer but you can only hear it if you are stopped or mocing slowly. Strage thing is i only hear the noise when turning left from centre cant hear anything turning right. Im also begining to wonder if its getting louder its like a slight whine at the moment.

Also noticed today that when the car is stopped and the ignition is in I position i can feel a very very slight vibration through the steering this goes away when i turn off the ignition. Its almost like a small motor running the vibration i felt. Now i dont know if this is normal in the civic and i just havent noticed till today.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Thanks
MalithS

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't find anything

Just so you know, have had the car into the dealer and they say nothing is wrong with it. took it to my local garage (Leven street motors in alexandria) and they say that there is a slight float on the steering tack but nothing major front pads will be changed onto the green stuff this weekend coming, shall see if that sorts it.

keep the reports coming.

cheers

georgius

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
If you had read the civic owners manual it says that its normal that steering keeps sound if it gets overheated when you turn it too hard at low speeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts