2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the budget for a decent bass unit and separate amp.

My needs are not to go to exhibitions or car parks and show off. Im happy with a bit of bass listening to Dire Straits and rock music.

I am drawn to the powered amp solution because:
1) It saves space, seats going down, no problem!
2) Seems a nice neat solution
3) Easy removal.

Im drawn to a separate amp and bass unit because
1) Im told its much better quality by every other dealer bar 2 ive spoken to.

Question: Is there a powered bass unit that can give as good as SQ for an audiophile as a sub and amp combination? Does anyone have one or have any experience to share?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Not that I know of. And most people agree that it's a bad thing to vibrate your amp so much.

I had a lot of success with a Boston sub and a Rockford Fostgate punch amp - but I'm sure that there are many good combinations available. The Boston had a passive driver in a small box - and coupled with variable phase and delay on the HU worked incredibly well (very deep, tight and "tuneful" - no "one note" thump that many boxes give).

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
If you just want to add some bass to the existing sound system, a powered sub will do the job nicely. Dealers off course will try to sell you a much more expensive separate set, but I think that's overkill in this case.
If you're planning to upgrade the whole system over time, you better look out for a complete separate system, as part of the master plan.

I am building an active sub myself at the moment. Home-made amp, home made active filter and rather small 8" but decent kevlar woofer. It's gonna be 80 real watts RMS into 8 ohms. In fact I build a sub that fits in the "secret boot compartment" and put all electronics inside of it. The cooling block will be placed inside close to the bass-reflex opening, or on the outside. Not yet decided.
I am wondering though where to get the input signal from, since the standard stereo has no pre-out. Probably have to take it from the speaker out. Not the best solution, but ok for subwoofer input.

BTW, where does the concert pack get his input from? Anyone has an installation manual?

K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts