2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new here...I just got my first car a civic 1.4 litre FK 1 dsi 2008 mk8 77,000 miles on the clock. I want to use this car to learn as much as I can about performing services on your own.

Can someone please show me the location of the power fluid can...and how do I go about changing the fluid (owners manual didn't come with the car.... i got it on the cheap... runs great no error codes..nothing. Good during lockdown period in the uk.

My goal is to use this car to learn as much about self servicing your own cars. I can't afford to go to garages as most of them are dodgy as hell.

Current Tasks

- Change power steering fluid

- Change transmission Oil

- Change Coolant

- Refill A/C.

Also if someone has a pdf copy of this particular model's owners manual please send me it.

Thank you guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken the 8th gen has a hydraulic steering rack so we don't use Fluid we have an electric rack

You'd rather do the brake and clutch fluid get both bled at the same time you do the coolant change & bleed

·
i-Vtec
4,323 Posts
@JayR35 The Gen8 has a fully Electric Steering rack, there is no fluid, hydraulic or otherwise involved. @Wilmo what's the site you have for the servicing guides?

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Wilmo sent me this site www.fn2workshop.co.uk for all my needs but it must be opened with internet explore and not chrome etc.

I'm unsure which FN yours is but you just go to the site, select the year and which FN you have.

There should be a silver metal plate rivetted into one of the door frames and it will say which FN you have (mine does). Although I'm sure Wilmo wouldn't mind chiming in :)

·
Super Moderator
2,901 Posts
@Das it's as Repsol says, it's easy to use - just choose year & FN and hit search button. There's also a search by key word.

FN1 - 1.8 petrol
FN2 - TypeR
FN3 - 2.2 diesel
FN4 - 1.4 petrol

Most of the info should be the same as the 4 door versions except for the obvious.
I'm not sure if the TypeS (i.e. the FN series) had stiffer suspension but all that should involve is different part numbers for the item.

The alternative site is this one that seems to be for the 4 door (?) as it does not cover the K20 engines Funkimunks ngESM

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
1.8 Type S is FN1
Non type S 1.8 is FK2 so suspension and body bits will differ slightly but engine is identical

·
Registered
931 Posts
Pretty certain all mk8 Civic use an electric rack. It's why their steering feels so utterly dead. Just check the users manual if there's any doubts as there won't be any fluid reservoir. Plus there will be recalibration issues if you remove the battery sometimes, signs of an electric rack.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The chassis is good in the Civic but the steering doesn't seem to have any feedback. It's accurate tho. I haven't driven any electric power steering car where the road can be felt through it. The Golf is worse yes but that's because it's the car equivalent of white goods.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I remember my fab vrs diesel. Pulling out 280 ft-lb at something's like 1900rpm stupid amount of pulling power handled like a proper boat! approach a coner hard and it's understeer heaven a real tree hugger lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts