2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone could tell me, or have any opinions about whether Honda (and in particular Type R's) are classed as a prestige marque car.

I wondered this lastnight and done a bit of Googling but haven't came up with anything that says "yes" or "no".
What got me thinking was my drive home from work lastnight.
I was comfortable, cruising steadily and thought to myself "this is one luxurious motor!".

I've only had Peugeot's and one Rover in the past and can't help feel that the Type R is massive class jump ahead in all respects. Yes I have the odd rattle that comes and goes in the dash somewhere but would say about 75% of my time in the "cockpit" it's flawlessly silent, even over bumpy roads where I'm rattling about. And the quality of the driving experience just blows my mind everytime I set off!
The interior as well appears to me to be high quality (other than the "leather" gator).

The question of prestige comes from that fact that before I had even considered a Type R I had it in my mind that I wanted my next car from the Peugeot to be a prestige car. Would have either been an Audi A3 Quattro 2.0T or a BMW 120d coupe. Like the typical examples of status symbols out there, I wanted to treat myself to a car that showed others that I'm achieving things in life. All I've every really heard said about Japanese cars such as Honda is how very reliable they are.

I'm just wondering if I've got there with the Type R because yesterday I certainly felt I have. I felt proud to own one. :)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
It's a mid range car, but I think the Civic had a lot on offer within its range compared to other cars that were available at the same time. Nowadays not so much and you've got to look at spending a fair bit more for "prestige".

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought would be the answer.
I supose part of the element of prestige us obtainability (or un-obtainability because of price). It would have taken me a good 12 months or so longer before I'd have been in a position to get the Audi or BMW (without skyrocket mileage) but needed something immediately so settled with the Type R.
However, I do love it, and feel a little converted to Honda's over German cars now. :)

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I've never really bought into the whole 'class' thing with cars. I buy a car because I like it.

Yes I'd like to have a BMW 335 or M3 but that's not because of the badge, it's because it's a bloody good car! Same with any other 'prestige' car, I'd buy it because it's a good car not because of the badge on the bonnet...

Put it this way, I would rather have the top spec mid range car than a poverty spec prestige car. Think CTR vs BMW 318 with pram wheels and you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
As far as I am aware there is no official list of what is a "prestige" car or not.

However, personally, I would not categorise any Honda as a "prestige" car.
Not that it matters.

Put it this way, I would rather have the top spec mid range car than a poverty spec prestige car.
There are certainly benefits with doing this, which is why I chose a Volvo over some German cars.

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never really bought into the whole 'class' thing with cars. I buy a car because I like it.

Yes I'd like to have a BMW 335 or M3 but that's not because of the badge, it's because it's a bloody good car! Same with any other 'prestige' car, I'd buy it because it's a good car not because of the badge on the bonnet...

Put it this way, I would rather have the top spec mid range car than a poverty spec prestige car. Think CTR vs BMW 318 with pram wheels and you get the idea.
I think you're spot on there. I think one of things I love about the Type R is the fact I have a top spec motor. :)
My thinking with the A3 and 120d was, they were the cars I actually wanted. The fact they had Audi and BMW badges and uber bonuses. :)
The whole "prestige" thing with me is actually more an unspoken status competition between myself a couple of my friends. It's sad but we've been like that since children. lol
But I can't deny, I do love the satisfaction of seeing Type R sat outside the house when my neighbours have Astras, Corsas, Leons, etc...

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Is Acura Honda's equivalent to Toyota's Lexus?
Is Lexus considered "prestige"?
I believe so, yeah although I think their cars are pretty similar. .

I would consider Lexus to be prestige but, at the end of the day, it just comes down to different people's opinions I suppose.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
To me, there was a huge difference in the quality/fit and finish between an equivalent year Audi A3 and 8th gen Civic, when I sat in and test drove them. I seem to rememeber, the seats and steering wheel felt "just perfect", in the A3.

I just couldn't bring myself to go with the poverty spec of the German marque, though. Everything the Civic has standard is either unavailable or is an expensive "optional extra" on the Audi.

The VAG PD lump is a clattery bag of spanners, straight from the dark ages, compared to the ctdi, too.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
My wife has the "poverty spec" ;) A3, and it's the same for me. When I get in, it feels better... but it has none of the toys I have in the Civic and I've obviously made my choice on which I'd rather have!

·
Registered
83 Posts
For me the CTR is not a "prestige" car. It's a hot hatch. If you want a "prestige" and a fast car you should consider an Audi S3 for example. I drove as a passenger in my friends cars (BMW 320i and 330i). They are definitely more comfortable and feel prestigious (leather, the dashboard does not do some noises, good sound damping, etc) but the interior design is boring and it's really boring to drive. The 320i with an auto is really slow and the 530i feels like a cargo boat.

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Last I checked, the Type-R was a hot hatch - nothing "prestige" about it (or any other Civic) whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
No def not... When 8G was launched it was pitched as being more premium that similar cars in its class such as the Focus and Astra, but fell short of the Audi's... Compounded by the Swindon 'can't be bothered to screw it together properly' effect.

The top spec GT (especially EX) models do have a very high level equipment which was often found in cars in much higher segments.... But now newer c segment cars have caught up to a degree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts