2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm looking at buying an '08 1.8 Civic. it has very low mileage and have been told by a main dealer that this is because it was previously used as a company car by an employee. Is this something that should concern me or is it better to aim for a car privately owned. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
Personally I wouldnt be put off too much by that. A demo car on the other hand? lol

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,674 Posts
I wouldn't be put off by a car having been a company car, that usually means they are serviced by the book etc.
Agreed, My Type S is a company car & has to be serviced at the main dealers, Tyres changed when they get anywhere near the limit. etc

·
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,653 Posts
Mine was ex-company car too.

Bought it with 22k on the clock 3 dealer stamps. Anything that comes up on any service gets changed so my brakes were done, tyres etc etc.

Best way to go IMO

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Yep, Take a look at the service book.
I bet not one has been missed.
I would normally say - look at the bonnet for over and above stone chips ( lot of motorways),
But that doesn't apply to a Honda.!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would just treat it like an other used car purchase; look very closely at the condition of the car; that should tell whether the Company driver looked after it or not. As long as the condition is good, as has been said above, it will have been maintained mechanically by the book, so should be a decent car. Might be worth asking to see the log-book to see what Company it was registered to - it's not unknown for hire cars to be sold unscrupulously......

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
This is my second Honda, and my second ex-company car. Had 2 1/2 years in a high-mileage ex-company car Accord, and it was faultless. Now I'm in the civic and it has been maintained to a similar standard.

As has been mentioned though, just treat it like any other used car and make sure everything is spot on before you lay out any money.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
My CTS used to be a company car (owned by a company owner^) with 50k miles on it, 2 years old and in mind condition. FHSH as well!

I guess it all depends how the car was driven.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I guess it all depends how the car was driven.
Pity the poor person who bought my Cavalier 1.8 Company car from a few years back - it was so gutless that it spent it's life bouncing off the rev-limiter ;) It's replacement (V6 Vectra) was mint when it went back though.

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
company car

As an ex company car driver (handed it back to buy my own 1.8 type s) I always looked after it, and serviced on time, and problems (however minor) fixed. As we have to pay a penalty if they work not looked after, we took care of them. Also we are not allowed to smoke in them (no smoking in the work place!). I would defiantly get an ex company car if one came up

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
Company cars are bound by leasing agreements, ALWAYS looked after well, serviced on time etc, mine was ex co car and even went back to Honda for approved tyres which says enough to me!...

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
I know your fear of someone spanking it around but most company cars people have the option to buy so tend to not spank as much as we'd think plus they are services to schedule if not more and only use oem parts win win

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
As has been said, treat it like any other purchase. I looked at a Jazz previously owned by Honda and it was in an awful state. 1 'owner', but it had been used as a pool car for Honda staff at their HQ. Interior scratched to bits and numerous scrapes and dings on the bodywork. Such as shame!

Saying that, I would rather go for a well looked after ex-company car for the reasons previously stated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts