2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just bought myself a personal plate for the civic as a little treat and wanted to know, as I haven't had one before, is it worth buying online and getting it spaced slightly illegally?? I know it carries a fine but i see so many on the road, and it would only be a slight change of space. From past experiences would you suggest yey or ney??? Ta x

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Hello,

Just bought myself a personal plate for the civic as a little treat and wanted to know, as I haven't had one before, is it worth buying online and getting it spaced slightly illegally?? I know it carries a fine but i see so many on the road, and it would only be a slight change of space. From past experiences would you suggest yey or ney??? Ta x
It's a decision for you and you alone, you could be advised to do it and still get pulled.

I can't advise either way, just like I cannot advise ever doing 71MPH ;)

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, i agree, maybe i just want to know how many of you have been pulled for it? Is it something that attracts the police just for that or is it maybe more of drive like a **** and then they do you for plate same time like? hmmm

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
IMO it's not worth it, if I was to get a private plate I'd spend the extortionate amount to get one that was "correct" in the first place. Hence me not having one as all of the decent plates are more than the car is worth! :lol:

But, each to their own. I see plenty of people ranging from slightly to very dodgy plates. Remember though, it's a case of when rather than if you get stopped. But then again, it is only a fine!

·
SHOCKD
4,351 Posts
Well I drove with green fogs on and illuminated for about 2 years without being clocked by the police until I finally did on valentines day this year..

Slap on the wrist though but you may get a fine for your reg

Saying that theres a horrendous old merc round my way with italic letters on the reg and its been that way for years.. I imagine hes never been pulled

·
Banned
7,705 Posts
Hello,

Police crack down on incorrectly spaced number plates quite a fair bit round here

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,397 Posts
I think they are hot on plates because of ANPR and speed/safety cameras. Especially now they are checking tax discs this way as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've never really understood the appeal of personalised number plates. I think the Americans have the best description....they call them vanity plates.
A guy near where I live has a really very, very nice Ferarri. Unfortunately it's totally spoiled by some naff vanity plates...worse still he's had the characters spaced and a few black cap screws added to make full stops.
So every time I see it, I forget the great beauty of the car...all I can focus on is the number plate... MR.W4NK3R....or whatever it reads.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
i had my personalised numberplate on my s2000 spaced illegally, got £100 fine for it on the way back from a track day summer last year, so had to get normal ones made, was much better before though - T 500N JR

now it just looks like ive got an old T reg s2k : (

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
My view on private plates is if the average person on the street can't read it then you paid too much for it. I can understand car or initial related plates so long as they are readable.

What I think is pointless is where the owner convinces themself it's obvious.

For example, let's say my name is Paul R...

I could get the Reg P4 ULR and space it P4UL R if I wanted. But to me that's the only name Reg I would want. It strikes me as desperation when people get other variations such as R4 ULR (then use screws to manipulate) or even something such as R471 RPP and then claims to have a 'paul' Reg plate.

Really, what's the point? :worms::worms::worms:

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,396 Posts
My view on private plates is if the average person on the street can't read it then you paid too much for it. I can understand car or initial related plates so long as they are readable.

What I think is pointless is where the owner convinces themself it's obvious.

For example, let's say my name is Paul R...

I could get the Reg P4 ULR and space it P4UL R if I wanted. But to me that's the only name Reg I would want. It strikes me as desperation when people get other variations such as R4 ULR (then use screws to manipulate) or even something such as R471 RPP and then claims to have a 'paul' Reg plate.

Really, what's the point? :worms::worms::worms:
I agree, I see loads of private plates where you don't have a Scooby what it is meant to say, money wasted.

My name is Neil and I've got N13 L**, used to have it spaced N13L ** but was awarded with a nice £60 fine on my Birthday for it a couple of years ago, I believe they've increased the fine to £100 now so it's up to you to take the risk. :popcorn2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts