2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new to this site, having looked at some posts i havent yet found out the reason for my problem with my induction kit. Once i fitted the induction kit it has dropped the revs to under 1000, it doesnt take off cleanly, very joulty and makes the car slower i reckon. everyday i stall the car which is stupid but this isnt my fault as the revs are that low it struggles to take off cleanly. has anyone else had this problem when fitting this to there 1.8 civic?? thanks

· Premium Member
1,937 Posts
k&n 57i works fine on mine. perhaps give them a call - did you fit it yourself?
didnt look that hard on installation..

you honestly stall because the revs are so low? my revs on idle are low also ...like 800mark... but never get close to stalling..

· Registered
92 Posts
i had this problem on my zetec s although i never had a filter on it, mine had the same symptoms and i kept stalling, was due to an idle speed valve sticking, which im pretty sure all engines have, not sure where its located in the civic, but once taken off and cleaned (sprayed with wd-40) it worked fine, but a couple of months later it started sticking again so i replaced it which was around £40 from ford (which might mean about £80 from honda :p ) worked fine after and car felt better than ever, amazing what this valve could do to the engine considering its small size.

anyway jus thought ide mention that, perhaps check it out, could be the same problem, does sound like it and might just be co-insidence that it has happend when youve fitted your filter?

unless anyone else knows???????

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help, i did fit it myself so that mite be a reason!lol. it makes my engine light come on which makes me think it is gettin to much air or there is a leakage in the pipes somewhere possibly. the worst thing it makes the car do is the revs because when i pull up to a set of lights in 2nd, i put it in nuetral and the revs drop below 500 and stalls the car. reli wierd.

· Registered
504 Posts
It's easy to find out if the real reason is the K&N: reinstall original filter and testdrive your car.
The original airbox and the induction pipes are very complicated and have resonators in it to make the engine react smooth and create torque as well in low revs.
Maybe you have to rev the engine a bit more with non original filter? But I have no experience with this.
800 rev/min is very normal for this engine.

· Registered
504 Posts
thanks for the help, i did fit it myself so that mite be a reason!lol. it makes my engine light come on which makes me think it is gettin to much air or there is a leakage in the pipes somewhere possibly. the worst thing it makes the car do is the revs because when i pull up to a set of lights in 2nd, i put it in nuetral and the revs drop below 500 and stalls the car. reli wierd.
Just read this now.
There's indeed a leakage. Check the connection from the EVAP canister valve on the throtlle housing. It's the thickest hose.

· Registered
92 Posts

im telling you if there an idle speed valve on the civic then check it! what uve said here is exactly what was happenign to me, okay its different cars but if youve checked your pipes and nothings wrong then check ithis valve. when i get chance i will have a look under the hood see if i can locate one.

· Registered
277 Posts
sounds simple but have you connected the air temp sensor into your induction kit?...you will have had to disconnect it from the air box when removing it. its the only bit of wireing on the airbox. if this is not connected you will get an engine light and poor running

· PSN ID: OneManTagTeam
371 Posts
Did you get this problem fixed? I'm having a similar issue with mine after fitting a k & n today, stalls with the sensor connected but with it disconnected, the vsa turns itself off, the the emmisions light comes on & won't rev over 3500rpm

· Premium Member
370 Posts
An interesting problem for sure.

Perhaps the ECU needs to be reset? Presumably disconnect the battery, wait 30 mins then reconnect and take it for a nice drive with a mix of different styles?

Perhaps the MAF (im guessing there is one on the Civic?) has been damaged whilst installing the filter, its a sensitive bit of kit.

I would probably try the first option i mentioned, that would be my best guess. Not saying its right though :)

BFM

371 Posts
I'm going to try again tomorrow morning, been in bed most of the day as not been feeling well.

I'll reset the battery for a hour or so then I'll resinstall it for a 3rd time.

Can't drive it anywhere with the MAF sensor fitted as that's when it stalls & also cuts out when press accellerator.

Don't want to drive with the sensor not fitted as scared might damage engine :(

· Registered
504 Posts
Did you get this problem fixed? I'm having a similar issue with mine after fitting a k & n today, stalls with the sensor connected but with it disconnected, the vsa turns itself off, the the emmisions light comes on & won't rev over 3500rpm
Sure you didn't disconnected the DBWconnector, in stead of the intakesensor? That would explain why the VSA is involved. Without DBW VSA can't work.

· Lord of JAE.....
8,143 Posts
Mine goes low enough to stall sometimes when I'm pulling away, but thats the DBW... sounds like you are getting way too much air.... or perhaps, crazy thought, heat soak??

Tom

371 Posts
The only sensor I disconnected was the one which plugs into the air box, not sure what's it's called as the instructions are in the car just now. I don't know where any of the other sensors are.

But when the sensor is plugged in, all the warning lights go off, just stalls all the time!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts