2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of a strange one earlier this week.

I'd just moved off and had travelled about 300m. Due to the road narrowing and an oncoming car I had to brake slightly. All of a sudden, the brakes applied sharply and the whole car shuddered. Fortunately, this only lasted a fraction of a second but the car didn't feel right after that. I noticed that the steering wheel was now at a 10 degree angle when the car was on a flat surface travelling in a straight line.

Seconds after this incident the VSA warning light came on so I returned home and called Honda.

The next day I left my car at Honda and after a couple of hours they called me. Honda said that the steering angle sensor needed resetting and should it happen again it may need to be repleaced. They also adjusted the steering so that the steering wheel was is in the correct position.

As you'd expect, this incident has caused me some concern as potentially a problem with steering could have had serious consequences.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Blimey. Assuming that the steering wheel is directly linked to the wheels, I can't see how a VSA malfunction would result in the steering angle changing. As you say, a bit concerning.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Stearing angle sensor is part of VSA or ESP in other models. Car make the nescessary corrections according to the steering angle. This is serious and you should ask for a direct replacement.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Stearing angle sensor is part of VSA or ESP in other models. Car make the nescessary corrections according to the steering angle. This is serious and you should ask for a direct replacement.
I would be concerned also. The fact they say it will need replacing if it happens again would make me think they are not very confident it won't.

·
Administrator
19,172 Posts
I think I would be more happy with a replacement now rather than later. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
have you ever had a problem since getting it fixed. honda havnt a clue with mine but my VSA kicks in quite easily when turning right especially if a lot of the weight shifts to the front left of the car. im at the end of my tether.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts