2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 06 Civic EX for around 6 months and in general I am very pleased with it; however there is just one thing that has been annoying me from time to time and I just wanted to know if anybody else has experienced the same problem.

I find that when crawling in traffic at very low speeds (2-15 mph) the car can sometimes be a bit unpredictable when applying the gas or taking your foot off the accelerator pedal quite quickly (especially the latter), causing it to jerk forward.

I've only driven one other car before the civic and did not really experience this problem, so I wanted to know either if a) this is just a common feature of the Civic which needs me to excercise some better clutch control, or b) if there is a fault with my car that I need to get checked out.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Is it a petrol or a diesel ?

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Some Civic's can be a little jerky. Remember the throttle is a 'drive by wire', rather than the traditional cable type. If you're concerned though, then see your dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses.

(the car is a 1.8 petrol)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Mines a 1.8 and I believe that what you describe is a characteristic of the car, although I seem to have got used to it now. I don't think it is the DBW directly since other DBW cars are not like this, rather it is due to the engine management being rather enthusiasticlly programmed to optimise fuel economy.
It could be that later cars have been tweeked to improve this.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Its a combination of the drive-by-wire system and not so brilliant engine ECU/characteristic. The first two months owning the car, it would transfer in a raging jumping bull in traffic. After a while i got better in using the throttle(the system is very direct but sometimes as said above, i catches out on you) and the applied ECU update on the engine really made the problem disappear, almost completely. It still gets a bit nervous in crawling traffic but apparantly that has to do wth the VTEC system, all in all its nowhere near as what it used to be so i am pleased

1 - 7 of 7 Posts