2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I live in the UK and I have a 2006 Civic 2.2 cdti and I have had problems with the steering. The car steers to the left, constantly and at low speeds, I can actually see the steering wheel turning to the left. I have been to the Honda Dealer 4 times and have been told or given all the excuses. (The tyres, wheels, tracking, balancing, etc have all been checked)
I have owned and driven different cars in the past but none of them had this problem.
I have been calling to speak with the customer service manager but everytime I call I get told that she is in a meeting. She still has not call back. I will write another letter to them and if I don't hear from them I will have to complain to Honda UK and then maybe contact the press.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
I can only suggest that all the roads near you may have a camber? If it is all the time and on a flat, straight road and steering to the left by itself something is wrong. Get them to test drive and see for themselves, then tell them you don't want it back until it is sorted and yes thank you will take a hire car in the meantime (just hope you don't get a Jazz...).

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
It could be the front left brake binding

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
Perhaps this thread needs to be moved?

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for replies but I have done everything that thas been suggested. They have driven it themselves and the engineer stated that the Civics tend to be this way especially where the road is uneven. Another stated that it was the tyre pressure and said that he had rectified it. That didn't work so I took it back and they did a full geometry test on the car and the result came back that there was nothing wrong with the balance and that all the tolerances were normal. One even said that after about 6secs cars in general would tend to drift either left or right.
They just seem to come up with different excuses.
I never had this problem with any of my previous cars.
I have also noticed that there are a few similar problems with owners in Belgium and Holland. Just wandered if any UK owners had experienced the same thing.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Civics are VERY camber sensitive.

Get it on a straight (perfectly) flat road and this shouldn't happen.
Finding such a road is hard :p

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Civics are VERY camber sensitive.

Get it on a straight (perfectly) flat road and this shouldn't happen.
Finding such a road is hard :p
Are they?

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Your dealer \ mechanic is talking complete b*ll*x ...

Honda ex-factory geometry tolerances are very 'loose', so the car can be in spec. and still pull or tramline ...

My 1.8 tramlined at times, until I had [ABP Motorsport] to the 'FRS' thing (and other suspension stuff) ...

Now, it just goes where I point it ...

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Your dealer \ mechanic is talking complete b*ll*x ...

Honda ex-factory geometry tolerances are very 'loose', so the car can be in spec. and still pull or tramline ...

My 1.8 tramlined at times, until I had [ABP Motorsport] to the 'FRS' thing (and other suspension stuff) ...

Now, it just goes where I point it ...
True - there was basic geo done at factory then detailed geo done as part of PDI. However Honda weren't paying dealers for the hours doing the PDI geo, so dealers complained.

Honda decided rather than do it before they left the factory to increase the tolerances (widen the goalposts) so that the basic geo was all that was required.

Or so I heard. One thing is certain, the acceptable Honda tolerance is pretty wide...

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
Re-read post number 5. It was originally in the wrong section of the forum but has now been moved to the correct section.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Can tyres make a difference here? Ive just had my tyres changed, they were Michelin pilot primacys and are now Bridgestone re50a . The car feels completely different afterwards to the point where im wondering if something is up with the alignment or balance or something. The car does pull now heavily on cambered roads, but im sure on the old Michelin's it never ever done. If anything its like i can feel a lot more through the steering wheel, whereas before it almost felt like the steering wheel was disconnected. The grip does feel good, its fine cornering but the steering wheel definitely wants to tug me around more then it did. Does this sound like a problem, or more like a characteristic of the tyres?

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Yes, different tyres can make cambered roads differently.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem, had the tracking done but didn't improve it much, got used to it now. I had an Accord before for 10 years and that was similar but not as bad as the Civic. I had new Bridgestones fitted to the front, as they were worn as part of the deal when I bought it (3 years old), so reading the posts above I will definitely fit a different tyre next time. It is something I have learned to live with, as I really love my Civic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts