1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
:(IF I AGREE OR NOT, THE ABOVE EDIT BY A MOD IS CHILDISH AND THE EDITOR IS NO BETTER THAN THE PEOPLE HE / SHE IS CALLING WITH THE EDIT:(

Get a grip and dont lower yourself to the same childish level, I was told this site was better but maybe i was informed wrong

please note this is the link i posted Civic Type R Owners • Login
Rick, when I click on the link you say you originally posted and then copy and paste from the address bar on that site back onto here then what it comes up with is what you think your link has been edited to. Try it yourself and you'll see no-one has edited your original post. :)

Civic Type R Owners • Login

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick, when I click on the link you say you originally posted and then copy and paste from the address bar on that site back onto here then what it comes up with is what you think your link has been edited to. Try it yourself and you'll see no-one has edited your original post. :)

Civic Type R Owners • Login
yes but the link was the same as above in the other post http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=168253 not Civic Type R Owners • Login some one has renamed the link and it was not me as i dont know how to do that

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
yes but the link was the same as above in the other post some one has renamed the link and it was not me as i dont know how to do that
I think you will find that the name of the link is pulled automatically from the name of the page you are linking to.

For example "www.civinfo.com" becomes Civinfo - Honda Civic Forum

The name is governed by the site you link to.

I think you will find there has been no edit.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think you will find that the name of the link is pulled automatically from the name of the page you are linking to.

For example "www.civinfo.com" becomes Civinfo - Honda Civic Forum

The name is governed by the site you link to.

I think you will find there has been no edit.
if that is the case why has the other name not changed to be the same in the above post, the name changed about 24hrs after i posted it and as i did not edit it someone must have.

Im not going to say any more on this as it is obvious some one alter the link name

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
if that is the case why has the other name not changed to be the same in the above post, the name changed about 24hrs after i posted it and as i did not edit it someone must have
Not sure why the links are showing up differently, but I do doubt it is a manual edit.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
this is what is in my post http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/v...?f=17&t=168253 not Civic Type R Owners • Login even you quote does not match now :( and the original link was the same page, now non users will have to log in but then it will take you to the correct page
I think you will find that irregardless of which caption is on the link, the url cannot be accessed without being a member on the Civic Type R forum. This may have been a policy change at that forum after your initial post.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

·
Administrator
19,184 Posts
I would be very surprised if your post was edited without a comment being left by one of the Moderators or a PM being sent to you explaining why.

Sorry if you feel otherwise but we are as intrigued as you.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
OK, here is what is happening.

When you post a link to a website, the software tries to look up the link and get the page title.

So, if you posted a link to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

then the software on the server tries to look up the page and changes the look of your link so that the text is the page title:

BBC NEWS | News Front Page

Which is quite clever, and quite informative for the user.

Now, when you post (or anyone quotes) a URL to that CTR site, the site redirects you to a login page. And the page title for that login page? It's:

Civic Type R Owners • login

Unfortunately that rather swish looking bullet point is translated into html as &bull (short for bullet).

So it appears as Civic Type R Owners &bull login

Please note that the &bull has a ; at the end, but I can't type that because it turns it into a bullet!

So, no edits, no childishness.

The reason that some links don't resolve is that the CTR site is sometimes a bit slow and this software times out quite quickly - so the raw link remains. Or someone has unticked "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" that is an option when you post here.

I hope this puts your mind at rest about any moderation that occurs here. This site was established because of moderation at another site. Moderation here is very rare and always documented.

Attachments

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it seems i was wrong but im sure you could all know why i assumed the link had been tampered with when it said Civic Type R Owners &bull login

i mean CTRO does have a great reputation dont it :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
No problem, we all make mistakes. :D

In the end this resulted in an improvement to the site once we had understood the true root cause, so that is good. [smilie=gt-happyup.:

I have no experience of the Civic Type R Owners forum (as I don´t have a CTR), but I am sure it serves it purpose.
Of the forums I do have experience of however, I would say that this is easily the best and friendliest however. :D :D

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Well it seems i was wrong but im sure you could all know why i assumed the link had been tampered with when it said Civic Type R Owners &bull login

i mean CTRO does have a great reputation dont it :rolleyes:

All's well that end's well then. :D

Glad it's all sorted. ;)

...... I would say that this is easily the best and friendliest however. :D :D
...and you would be right FWH. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts