2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Progress Thread: 2008 FN2 Milano Red

R-Red 
12K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  Jamesmall 
#1 ·
This week is the week I delved into the Japanese car market and bought myself a 2008 CTR FN2 In Milano Red.
Having drooled over my mates EP3 for many years, the wife and I started searching for a FN2 and found this beauty.
Stats as follows:
2008 FN2
91k on Clock
Part History, mainly by Honda
Bodywork is near enough mint, one or two areas look like they have been resprayed and have a few bubbles.
Interior again is excellent, red floor carpet has a hole in drivers footwell, I will get round to replacing it soon.

The Car (dealer photos):

Plans:
A tight budget and lack of free time means I have no major plans until at least the summer/autumn. Performance mods will likely be 2019, so until then, my focus is to restore it to as mint condition as I possibly can, with a couple of minor discreet additions.
Namely, full paintwork correction, new Number Plates, Bulbs, mats, refurb Alloys etc.

This thread may be boring for some, it’s not going to cause much excitement, but I’m going to use it as a diary of the car under my ownership...

See less See more
#7 ·
Credit cards are your best friend, or for me cash jobs :lol:

#10 ·
I do yeah. Not one for following the crowd but it's spot on.

#12 ·
I think it’s beautiful, the purists May shoot me but I’m not actually a fan of the stock “ball” gearknob. Think I’ll save for a SK one

There's a how to somewhere for cleaning the mould out of the rear light clusters, another very cheap improvement
I have a list as long as my arm I’m eager too get started, the lights is one of them. Toothbrush, syringe and weak bleach solution so I’m told...

#13 ·
Had a good day today, the wife was off work so I got to see the car for the first time since Saturday! :laugh2:
Firstly, the green algae in the rear lights. I decided to remove the two indicator lights completely...

The rear lights however I couldn’t remove, tbh I saw how many bolts were holding them in and decided against it. They haven’t come out perfect, but much better than before...

#18 ·
Well done.

I remember that the center light panel is indeed held on with a seemingly endless number of tiny nuts. While removing them everyone one of them seemed desperate to jump free and hide in the depths of the tail gate, to haunt you whilst rattling around on EVERY drive.

#24 · (Edited)
Ultimately I want to get a new double din headunit, with Bluetooth and android play. However having read the nightmare stories, not to mention the cost, I opted against it for now, perhaps with a view to returning to it later.
Therefore, I bought this for £14.99 on Amazon...

Plugged it it to the power socket in the boot. Paired it via Bluetooth to my phone, and set an FM frequency for it to transmit the audio to. For the price, it’s absolutely fantastic! Very little feedback or background noise, certainly worth the price. I can stream Spotify now for a fraction of the cost of a full ICE install

#25 · (Edited)
Finally for today was a job I had been dreading!
My display for radio/air con etc was very damaged. The display had many missing pixels, looking like this...

So...
Following a guide I found on YouTube... I set about dismantling the dash...

Soldered all the “cold joints” at the back...

And.... voila

#26 ·
Spent an hour this afternoon sorting the gear gaiter and gearknob. It’s a common area of wear, mine looked like this when I bought the car...

I followed a guide I found on CivInfo and am very pleased with the results...

Extremely Worn!

But after a bit of confusion on how to get the numbers straight (I should have just read the guide in more detail!!), the end result is...

#29 · (Edited)
Only a small update today. I replaced the front lower bumper, so whilst I had the whole bumper off the car, I fixed a niggling issue since I bought the car.
The washer jets were soooo poor, the water was barely hitting the window screen. I took the whole washer bottle out, removed the filter, and low and behold it was clogged solid with a scummy residue, evidently congealed washer fluid.
Cleared this and the washers fire perfectly now.

But more importantly...

I shaved my seats...literally with a disposable razor to remove the “baubles”.

Before;

After;

Did every seat, won’t bore you with the pictures, but very pleased.

As mentioned before I wanted to replace the lower bumper because of lacquer peel and while I had it off, I fitted a universal splitter off eBay. Very pleased!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.