2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a lot of stories about people suffering from heat soak with the HKS Racing Suction Kit but never have I experienced it with mine before.
I've had it fitted to the car for about 8 months now and I only had the car a month before fitting.

When driving to Japfest along the m4 we got stuck in some heavy traffic joining, and a few times the car suffered from heat soak when moving off it was a blazing hot day and I almost stalled from the effects of it. The traffic wasn't moving and it only happened 2 or 3 times so It didn't bother me to much.

This last week in the Blazing hot weather I have had some problems moving away from lights and junctions and the car just generally feels a little sluggish until it picks up some speed and gets the air moving round the bay.

So I decided I needed a heatshield (I do have a vented bonnet on the way which will help thing more but I need a heatshield now). I am aware TDI make a one I could buy but I like to do things my own way, so I'm making my own.

I Started with Cardboard and made the basic shape I wanted,

I then got some perspex and cut it roughly to size as I could see through, it was easy to mark where it needed cutting and drilling.

After the bottom Plate was complete, I made a template using masking tape.

After the Cardboard template was complete I checked it would fit which involved fitting it putting the whole car back together closing the bonnet then taking the whole thing apart again :S
I then made an exact copy from 1.2mm Aluminum sheet and welded along the loose edge so it didn't rattle. This was really difficult as we only had 3mm rod so to get the rod hot enough to melt was causing the shield to burn and warp but I got there in the end for a first prototype its pretty good.

here is some more pictures of the completed item,

then some of fitting, I forgot to bring home some bolts and washers to fit it so had to use what I had laying about but will sort them after the weekend.

The finished product.

Still trying to decide if I should spray it black or have it polished to match the HKS.

Let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Tom, i think thats brlliant!

Its going to do the job with the satisfaction that you did it too :)

Nice work, it looks really good :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Looks good. I say leave it polished. If you paint it black in there it will be invisible.

Have you removed the standard cold air feed(if you can call it that)? Cant see it in the pics.
RAM air ducting seems to be a worthwhile addition to an RSK, although it wont help when stuck in traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tom, i think thats brlliant!

Its going to do the job with the satisfaction that you did it too :)

Nice work, it looks really good :cool:
Thanks Jake :D

Btw grabbed a copy of Honda Tuner, thanks for the heads up :D

Looks good. I say leave it polished. If you paint it black in there it will be invisible.

Have you removed the standard cold air feed(if you can call it that)? Cant see it in the pics.
RAM air ducting seems to be a worthwhile addition to an RSK, although it wont help when stuck in traffic.
Thanks Scott,
I've not removed the resonator box (standard air feed) yet, Its just dead weight if you have an open filter as it does nothing without the engine sucking air through it.
When my Mugen intakes arrive I will have the bumper off and take all the standard box out and run a cold air feed up to the heat shield and will tack a small alloy tube to the base so the hose can clamp round and feed air to the filter.

As you say will do nothing when standing still but I'm hoping the combination of the shield and vented bonnet (which is on its way) will help the hot air to leave the bay rather than hang round the filter.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great job mate!

Did you weld the aluminium yourself?
Yeh was my 3rd go ever at ally welding, one of the welders at work has been teaching me the basics. Ally is really hard to weld!

Sent by me

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have already had a pm from someone asking if they could buy one and I've got to make one for Lisa, depending on time and interest I may be able to make a few more if anybody wants one.
Would probably be £30 delivered if I did, let me see how it goes making another one for Lisa. If anybody wants one pm me and I will put up a for sale thread or trader thingy if enough people want one.

Sent by me

·
768 Posts
Nice job mate. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Problem is, the more i see this about the HKS RSK (Which seems to be an awful lot atm) the more i get put off wanting to buy one.

What alternatives with in a similar price range? or just get a heat shield? :)

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
Nice job mate. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Problem is, the more i see this about the HKS RSK (Which seems to be an awful lot atm) the more i get put off wanting to buy one.

What alternatives with in a similar price range? or just get a heat shield? :)
The thing is, to perform well any air intake requires lots of cold air flying towards it while driving at speed. If your sat in traffic crawling along then it doesnt matter what air intake you have, there's no cold air heading into the engine bay. Because of this the engine doesnt perform how youd hope, i.e sluggish. But your in traffic, your not going to be able to put your foot down anyway so it doesnt matter imo. Then as soon as your out of traffic and gaining speed, cold air can find its way in again, and performance is back to its usual. Problem solved!

Just get a heatshield to help things along a bit, i dont care what people say the HKS kit aint too shabby :)

·
768 Posts
The thing is, to perform well any air intake requires lots of cold air flying towards it while driving at speed. If your sat in traffic crawling along then it doesnt matter what air intake you have, there's no cold air heading into the engine bay. Because of this the engine doesnt perform how youd hope, i.e sluggish. But your in traffic, your not going to be able to put your foot down anyway so it doesnt matter imo. Then as soon as your out of traffic and gaining speed, cold air can find its way in again, and performance is back to its usual. Problem solved!

Just get a heatshield to help things along a bit, i dont care what people say the HKS kit aint too shabby :)
Yeah, it does seem a nice bit of kit. Sounds great too.

Probably will just get a heat shield then. [smilie=gt-happyup.:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts