2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of this brand? I'm looking into replacing my rotors and pads as when I brake from high speed the entire car shakes - I've been told the discs are wrapped? Anyway I'm looking into what to replace them with as I cant really afford the Spoon Calipers I really want and Brembo's are looking like a chew on to find and fit.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
PMu are good but silly money and don't last. Best bet for "proper" brakes is Stoptech big brake kit at about £1400 and includes discs pads lines and calipers. Discs are 330 mm as well.
Best alternative is stoptech Oem replacement discs Ferodo pads and lines.

I wouldn't be going Spoon. Been there done that and it's not much better than stock for actual braking as it's the disc that is the limiting factor not the caliper. Look good though and great if you want to run smaller wheels.

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Paul, how much are we talkin for the replacement discs, ferodo pads and lines? are you as well just gettin the big brake kit?
I reckon you'd be looking at about £500-£600+ easily for parts alone - using stock calipers? (Discs, Lines, Pads, and Fluid)

When I come to sorting mine out, I think I'll be going DS2500, Spoon Calipers, braided hoses/lines of some sort - undecided on discs, but mine are in decent nick ATM, Soooo.. food for thought.

With the Stoptech you pay a little extra (£200-£300), but you get the whole shabang, lines/discs/pads/calipers in the kit, IIRC. With the Spoons you just get the Calipers, and the mounting brakcets.

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
Cheers TR I'm rubbish with brakes I haven't a clue about them at all I'll need to look into it but definitly think I need some more brakin power, I was lookin at the spoon calipers top! I fancy some drilled discs though

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Cheers TR I'm rubbish with brakes I haven't a clue about them at all I'll need to look into it but definitly think I need some more brakin power, I was lookin at the spoon calipers top! I fancy some drilled discs though

No problem. It's not accurate - but I reckon you'd be looking at £500-600+ for good discs (stop-tech), lines, pads (ds2500), and fluid (Motul)

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The braided hoses seem to vary in price from £100 for HEL to £350 for Mugen.

I've priced up Mugen rotors with Mugen Pads and lines and its almost £850

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
The braided hoses seem to vary in price from £100 for HEL to £350 for Mugen.

I've priced up Mugen rotors with Mugen Pads and lines and its almost £850
Yeah quality rotors are expensive: I put them down at about £300+ - DS2500's are about £90-£100 (that's just fronts IIRC), lines, another £60-£100, Fluid £50. That's how I got to my estimation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My original discs were also warped and pitted. I replaced them with Tarox discs and fitted Ferodo DS2500 pads. This combination is definitely an improvement over stock. The car brakes harder and so far not a mark to be found on the discs.
The Tarox replacement discs can be had in a couple of different types. Zero (plain), G88 (grooved) and F2000 (more for track days). Since the discs are still the same size I opted for the Zero discs (no loss of braking surface). I also replaced the brake fluid with Castrol SRF. According to the service manual this should be done after 3 years , that's far too long. If you use your brakes hard you should do this every year. I've read somewhere that the fluid has reached its wet boiling point after one year.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
having tried OEM, DS2500 and Carbotech XP8s (all on OEM rotors) i think that in fact DS2500 are no big improvement compared to OEM pads. Carbotechs in turn are much much better.

·
Registered
302 Posts
just fitted today

oem stoptech grooved front discs
ds2500 pads all round
goodridge braided 6 line kit
motul 1 rbf 600 brake fluid

the stopping power now is just amazing..for me a very good combination..thanks to all at abp for another very proffesional job :D:D

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just fitted today

oem stoptech grooved front discs
ds2500 pads all round
goodridge braided 6 line kit
motul 1 rbf 600 brake fluid

the stopping power now is just amazing..for me a very good combination..thanks to all at abp for another very proffesional job :D:D
Do you mind me asking how much that cost?

·
Registered
259 Posts
+1 interested to know. Brakes are a hot topic as the OEM setup is pants - I had far more confidence in my previous 206's OEM setup which had the GTI models brakes (even though it wasn't technically a GTI). That's just crap though - more confidence is a French cars brakes!!!

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For me the brakes are the worst part of the CTR, strange though as I dont mind my EP3 brakes and I think they are exactly the same as the FN2!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts