2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls! I'm going to look at a 5 door Silver Civic ES 1.8 on Saturday morning having made my mind up to make the move from a Corsa 1.2 SXI. If I go through with the purchase I guess I'll be spending quite a lot of time reading threads on here :D

The car looks extremely well kept from the pictures, is a 57 Reg and has 41,500 miles on the clock. Has full service history from Honda (Last one in September), 6 months tax and a full years MOT. It's from a family run dealer and asking price is £6,495 which I think is a pretty fair price. They have also got a deal on at the moment for a 5 year warranty at £250 with each claim valid up to £1000.

Anyone have any thoughts on the deal as I'm a bit of a Honda (and cars in general!) noob ;)

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.:)

Car looks about right price from a dealer. Take it for a good test drive before committing to buy and check for knocks, steering pulling one way or anything else that may be wrong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I'm still only a prospective new owner at this point. Went to look at the car this morning and despite being in pretty good condition for a 5 year old car (Plenty of stone chips on the front of the car and few on the bonnet) I counted at least 10 small chips in the windscreen and also 1 in the middle of the panoramic roof near the front.

It was too much for me to commit to the car there and then without at least researching whether this is normal. The chips were all fairly small and looked to be surface chips only (The type you can feel when you feel them with your fingernail). Should this be worrying me or am I being daft? Will all civics of this age I look at be similar?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found another ES locally... 56 Reg, Black, only 34,000 on the clock, owner was apparently a 72yr old bloke and you can tell with the amount of scrapes and scratches on it!

A fairly substantial vertical mark that goes through the plastic crosshatch panel on the rear bumper, a horizontal scuff along the lower boot, light ring or key scratches around both door handles and small dent to the driver side front wing and other scratches and chips. Looks immaculate inside and if it wasn't for the scratches and body work issues I'd probably snap it up at £6,495.

The problem I have is that I'd easily lose £500 off any resale value further down the line if I kept the vehicle as it is due to the bodywork, so I'm not wanting to pay more than £6,000 for the car in its current state. My bank loan is now sitting in my account so I'm ready to proceed, it's just a matter of finding a car now :)

I'm also not very technically minded as far as cars go, so I'm not really sure of replacement cost for rear bumber grill (does the entire bumper need replacing to replace that part?) or the possibility of getting scratches seen too and to what success levels?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts