2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the engine allow VTEC to be hit when its cold? I dont want to try but im worried if somebody should borrow it they might!

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
I never hit v-tech until its properly warmed up ;) you shouldn't rag it anyway when it's cold ;) but who ever borrows it make sure you tell them ? Or tell them to get the bus ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ;)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
It won't physically stop you from doing it, no. You'll just have to stick a post-it on the dash...

Edit: Sorry should have been more specific. The car won't physically limit the revs.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
The car will rev as normal but the vtec won't come in.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
^ + 1 the ecu doesnt allow the second cam to kick in unles its at a reasonable tempterature. I thought my car was broken the 1st time i found that out and asked the same question on here:D

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
The car will not engage the VTEC until it is warm enough by the ECU standards - usually 5 minutes of normal driving.

However i peronally leave it longer 10 - 15 minutes before i engage the VTEC.

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
I've read somewhere you shouldn't let the car reach vtec when cold before as if it was possible to do so. What kind of damage can you do by high revving when the engine is cold anyway? I imagine it's similar for most cars and not just vtec?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I've read somewhere you shouldn't let the car reach vtec when cold before as if it was possible to do so. What kind of damage can you do by high revving when the engine is cold anyway? I imagine it's similar for most cars and not just vtec?
Oil is cold (thick) and won't be correctly lubricating all the engine so excessive revving will cause excessive wear to components that cost a fortune, if you can't trust someone not to abuse your property than they don't deserve the pleasure of driving your car.

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
In that case NO-ONE will get the pleasure of driving my car then! :p

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the No VTEC whilst cold has been a saftey feature on the R's atleast for a while now, had a mate some years ago who had a DC2 (think it was a DC2 anyway - two round light in front bumper jobbie!), Anyway i do seem to recall he said it won't allow the VTEC to engage whilst it's cold, same with my bosses old ATR too!

Don't think it stops you revving the car as such - just no VTEC as others have said!

If you think the person you were gonna lend the car too was going to mercilesly thrash it though then i'd be firmly in the "no lend" camp too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts