2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, as per title, my ps3 has just kicked the bucket. was happily playing infamous, and it just shut itself off, and now i just have a blinking red light and it wont turn on. has anybody else had this?
also, its sods law that i just sold my old n64 this afternoon...lol

were are doing the best deals on new ps3's at the moment, as from what im reading online, its cheaper to buy a new one than send it back to sony?

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
If you have a heat gun and some heat sink compound it takes 30 minutes to fix, I have done 4 so far free of charge, but when fixed will usually go again, its the cell processor and graphics chips lifting of the board, there are loads of vids on YouTube just follow them

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
There was something on watchdog last year about this happening, it was a common fault on machines about a year old, they got an independant repairer to fix the problem, could be an idea to check out bbc watchdog website or Sony's own website. Failing that look for local place that repairs games machines, good luck. :D

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, ive just been reading up more on this problem, and seemily theres be a spate of original release day ps3's going down like this, and that the fixes are just temporary and maybe last 4-6 months if im lucky, so do you think its worth getting it fixed or shelling out for a new one?

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a heat gun and some heat sink compound it takes 30 minutes to fix, I have done 4 so far free of charge, but when fixed will usually go again, its the cell processor and graphics chips lifting of the board, there are loads of vids on YouTube just follow them[/QUOT

steven, i wouldnt be the best at trying stuff like that mate, but thanks for the info :)

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Colin you should have been playing GT5 and getting some practise in for the nurburgring - shame on you. LOL
lol, thanks for those wise words paul, trouble is when im playing racing games, i get the urge to go and drain my petrol tank as quick as i can...lol

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I would probably go for an x box as not heard any problems with these at the moment, I would be worried about buying a new ps3 if my first one broke down, I still have my ps2 from about 2003 and still works, if you are looking to buy a new machine, then could be worth trying self repair.

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would probably go for an x box as not heard any problems with these at the moment, I would be worried about buying a new ps3 if my first one broke down, I still have my ps2 from about 2003 and still works, if you are looking to buy a new machine, then could be worth trying self repair.
ive found a guy online who will fix it for about £60 with 6 months warranty, so might give that a blast. cant afford to shell out nearly 300 euro for a new one at the moment.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
It was just an overheating issue with the original fat ps3's, the newer slim run lower voltage and create less heat, it is fixable easy to do bit a daunting the first time as there are loads of bits to strip down. There were a couple of firms that fixed them up here but no longer do as they will fail again. If you have any downloaded and games you have paid for you will need to get it fixed to transfere it over to the new PS3 with an ethernet cable

·
Registered
120 Posts
just to clarify i wasnt charging £40 just to aim a heat gun at it like ive seen alot of youtube tutorials do, doing it that way you warp some of the plastic and make it deformed, also it will go again.

i use new paste/solder and take the thing to pieces

but to the OP, your best off finding someone in ireland as it will be more cost effective for you

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just to clarify i wasnt charging £40 just to aim a heat gun at it like ive seen alot of youtube tutorials do, doing it that way you warp some of the plastic and make it deformed, also it will go again.

i use new paste/solder and take the thing to pieces

but to the OP, your best off finding someone in ireland as it will be more cost effective for you
lol, no worries mate, i understood what you were saying, ive watched some of those vids and seen the damge theyve done for a "quick fix". im going to call a few places locally on monday and go from there. cheers matey.

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was just an overheating issue with the original fat ps3's, the newer slim run lower voltage and create less heat, it is fixable easy to do bit a daunting the first time as there are loads of bits to strip down. There were a couple of firms that fixed them up here but no longer do as they will fail again. If you have any downloaded and games you have paid for you will need to get it fixed to transfere it over to the new PS3 with an ethernet cable
i heard about the new slims running alot cooler and how they introduced external fans for the original fat ones, i thought they were just a gimmick at the time...lol, how wrong was i?

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
lol, thanks for those wise words paul, trouble is when im playing racing games, i get the urge to go and drain my petrol tank as quick as i can...lol
Picked the missus and her sister up earlier and got told off for having my foot down - been playing GT5 and had a go of the Red Bull car - don't think mine cuts the mustard!

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked the missus and her sister up earlier and got told off for having my foot down - been playing GT5 and had a go of the Red Bull car - don't think mine cuts the mustard!
Lmao, that red bull car is well rapid, stupidly rapid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's a sign to get an xbox ;) lol
Lol Louisa I was waiting for someone to offer that advice. Thing is, I've played the 360 and don't like it. Always been a playstation bod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
well, as per title, my ps3 has just kicked the bucket. was happily playing infamous, and it just shut itself off, and now i just have a blinking red light and it wont turn on. has anybody else had this?
also, its sods law that i just sold my old n64 this afternoon...lol

were are doing the best deals on new ps3's at the moment, as from what im reading online, its cheaper to buy a new one than send it back to sony?
:panic:
no !!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts