2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry for the obvious sounding question. But what PSI should type R tyres be inflated to? Had a quick look in the manual last night but couldn't find it.

Thanks,

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
its on the door trim on the drivers side mate...if you've got rages i think (if i remember correctly) that its 38 on the front and 34 on back up to 220km/h and 41 and 38 > 220km/h...you'll find it in the drivers side door trim anyay

·
Registered
610 Posts
Use that as a guide. Also depends on the tires you have.
I set mine to 26-27psi cold which gives about 32-33 when hot which is fine for me.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Not quite all :)

The Honda option spare should be inflated to 60 psi which I think from memory on the old car 'sticker' was 2.4 bar.

(If I had time to investigate the Wiki I'd have added it in with a neat table)

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
They are all here.
Just checked the Wiki against my door label. (2.2)

Fronts "unloaded" & "loaded at 2.3 (33lbs per squinch) Wiki gives 2.4 / 34

Rears: "unloaded" 2.1 / 30 Wiki gives 2.2 / 31
"loaded" 2.6 / 38 Wiki gives 2.6 / 38

So slight differences (my car 1 year old.)

Main point here is that the "unloaded" on the car is shown as up to 5 people and luggage!! Hardly "unloaded."
"Loaded" is shown as towing a caravan - so I wonder if the headings on the Wiki should be altered- but I can't think of anything concise at the moment.

Bugbear on tyre pressures is that whichever pump I use compared with any of our pressure gauges, the result is never consistent. Local Sainsbury's pump tells me 0.2 bar above my pressure gauge. The higher pressure makes the car even rock-harder.:confused:
The gauges on the plug into cig.-lighter pumps can be wildly out.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Always best IMO to get a fairly decent tyre pressure gauge. Auto Express have online reviews to help you select an accurate one.

With mine and my trusty foot pump I have never used a garage airline in years, possibly decades.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Always best IMO to get a fairly decent tyre pressure gauge. Auto Express have online reviews to help you select an accurate one.

With mine and my trusty foot pump I have never used a garage airline in years, possibly decades.
Hi Captain!
Keeps you fit. My footpump long since non-trustworthy, now usually use the Honda supplied pump.

Gauge: I'll see what I can find. Also wondering if a local engineering company who have to pressurise pipes could check my gauge for me.

What a good job Pottsy sent that link to the Wiki through, or someone above on this thread would be down on us like a tonne of CO2 for hi-jacking a Type R thread. "Enhancing" I call it:worms:

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Further -followed Kremmen's idea, to Auto Express, and I now have the recommended gauge Race-X Professional code RX0014, supposedly accurate to 2% (of the 4 Bar whole scale probably) £12.94 incl. P & P from Direct Car Parts, Durham.

Direct Car Parts : Car Accessories

It's nicely made and chunky, 5.3cm diameter dial, and 11cm "North to South." (Plastic case not brill, but at least it's there.)

If I take this one as correct...my old pencil style gauge overreads by 0.2 bar, so Civic tyres have a lttle less pressure now to get to 2.3 and 2.1.
Wife's MX-5 - her gauge underreads by 0.1, so adjusted tyres upwards.
This means local Sainsbury's pump tell me tyres are at 2.3, but they really are at 2.7.
I expect the ride from the rear suspension will be a tad gentler now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Further -followed Kremmen's idea, to Auto Express, and I now have the recommended gauge Race-X Professional code RX0014, supposedly accurate to 2% (of the 4 Bar whole scale probably) £12.94 incl. P & P from Direct Car Parts, Durham.

Direct Car Parts : Car Accessories

It's nicely made and chunky, 5.3cm diameter dial, and 11cm "North to South." (Plastic case not brill, but at least it's there.)

If I take this one as correct...my old pencil style gauge overreads by 0.2 bar, so Civic tyres have a lttle less pressure now to get to 2.3 and 2.1.
Wife's MX-5 - her gauge underreads by 0.1, so adjusted tyres upwards.
This means local Sainsbury's pump tell me tyres are at 2.3, but they really are at 2.7.
I expect the ride from the rear suspension will be a tad gentler now.
I always put mine to 42psi front and 38psi rear (19" rages) and find this gives even wear all round.Tyres now 2 years old (yoko`s) and have 5mm all round left on tread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts