2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely hammer up to 60 from a standing start but I did today, and got a puff of smoke when changing into 3rd. Oil is OK, coolant is OK. Could it be crap build up in the cat? Car runs fine. Maybe I need to red line it more often >:)

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,128 Posts
Start worrying when you get swirls of blue out the back. Otherwise, ENJOY :wink3:

Reactions: Haltamer

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
The other tell tale sign is a sooty build up around, normally above, the exhaust outlets.

If the surrounding paint isn't tinged black then you haven't got a persistent problem.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Hopefully just a bit of carbon deposit coming out. Other cause could be valve stem seals.

Biggest issue now, is any visible smoke is an MOT fail with a driving prohibition and even if not showing, the emissions tests are much tougher. That said, don't panic, this sounds like a one off and was probably just a build up.

If you really want to clean it out, try some BG44 or similar.

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mot was in April and the emissions were very low. This has happened twice now, funnily enough in the same place. Perhaps it was some dust kicked up? I'll have to get the missus to follow me one day and see if she spots anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,424 Posts
If you do a lot of low speed town driving it could just be crud building up and a good blast has cleared it.
What fuel do you use? If you don't use shell v power or similar give that a whirl for a few tank fulls and see what happens.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,315 Posts
Hopefully just a bit of carbon deposit coming out. Other cause could be valve stem seals.

Biggest issue now, is any visible smoke is an MOT fail with a driving prohibition and even if not showing, the emissions tests are much tougher. That said, don't panic, this sounds like a one off and was probably just a build up.

If you really want to clean it out, try some BG44 or similar.
Only an MOT Failure on cars with a DPF fitted, it was introduced to out those who have had their DPF gutted.

Reactions: RA108

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Only an MOT Failure on cars with a DPF fitted, it was introduced to out those who have had their DPF gutted.
I take it back about visible smoke for petrols.

However, the limits are tightened and the emissions test includes a test for Hydrocarbons, so any smoke will cause a failure (because it will be almost guaranteed to be exceeding the 200ppm limit if it's visible.

Check Chart 2 out here under The Ignition Vehicles Section:

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-8-Nuisance.html#section_8.2.2.2

The HC level is clearly stated.

·
Super Moderator
1,424 Posts
It wouldn't be the fuel even if he was running 95ron as there's nothing wrong with using it.
The premium fuels have more detergents in them to keep the intake & fuel systems clean.
If he has been using it them there should not be any deposits to burn off.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,128 Posts
The premium fuels have more detergents in them to keep the intake & fuel systems clean.
If he has been using it them there should not be any deposits to burn off.
95ron has enough 'detergents' in it for coking not to be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,424 Posts
95ron has enough 'detergents' in it for coking not to be an issue.
Okay, so that's why Honest John the motoring journalist from the Telegraph swears by using these premium fuels and recommends them - and don't say he getting paid by the oil companies.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,128 Posts
Okay, so that's why Honest John the motoring journalist from the Telegraph swears by using these premium fuels and recommends them - and don't say he getting paid by the oil companies.
You keep emptying your wallet fella.

Over two decades of owning performance cars and high performance motorcycles and using nothing but 95ron and they've all been fine with NO coking up.

What's the Yamaha R6 a genuine 166bhp per litre N/A at the wheel? Revs to 16000rpm, what fuel does Yamaha say put in, 95ron. No coking up on that.....

I only put supermarket diesel in my 2.2 iCTDi too, nearly 100k done in it since I bought it, 168k miles in total, engine still running fine.

It's all a con by the fuel companies. You don't need these more expensive fuels on the road.

Only time I ever put super unleaded in my DC2 R is when I take it on track and want a bit more resistance to detonation because I'm revving it to it's proper potential.

On the road at road legal speeds, 95ron goes in. No coking up on that.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts