2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only after a couple of days after I bought my new Civic, my 3-year old doughter puked after half an hour driving.

I know the Civic isn't the most comfortable car, but this is not what I wanted from my new car.

Does anyone have a solution? I prefer not giving her medicine every trip.

Or do I just have to get more accustomed with the car?

Previously I drove a Renault Megane.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
possible to get a safe car chair for the front seat perhaps?
children also have a 'side' of the car they prefer to sit on...

maintaining constant cool air flow helps...

even activities to get a childs mind off being sick..

you should avoid airfresheners in the car, often strong ones bring on headaches and sickness etc

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
yea, thats what i was thinking,

as im not a parent i guess im limited in my suggestions....

but i dont think medicine is the way to go... especially at 3 yrs old...

could be the new car smell...although that has probably gone now! hehe...

distractions/cool air best way i think.. keep their minds off things..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
possible to get a safe car chair for the front seat perhaps? children also have a 'side' of the car they prefer to sit on...
I have a safe chair, as that is mandatory. It's not allowed on the front seat because of the airbags.

I can try putting her on the other side.

maintaining constant cool air flow helps...

even activities to get a childs mind off being sick..

you should avoid airfresheners in the car, often strong ones bring on headaches and sickness etc
Thanks. I forgot to tell the car smells very new. Maybe that also adds to her sickness.

·
Bournemouth Belle
900 Posts
Don't forget some people are prone to travel sickness and may be all their life - I have a friend who prefers to drive as it takes their mind off feeling sick - if they don't drive they frequently are!!

Also stops every 1/2 hour or so, if possible, help, at least it did for one of my daughters when she was little. Also, it didn't matter what car she was in - mine, her aunts or friends - she still felt sick. But we managed without medicine. How about some of those wristband things - they are susposed to be good.

Now me, I'm never car sick - just air sick ie altitude sickness!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about some of those wristband things - they are susposed to be good.
I've read about those. I'm a bit sceptic about "accupuncture points" in your wrists. They seem not to work for everybody. I hope they work for 3-year olds. Ofcourse eventually I'll try them :)

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
'Only after a couple of days after I bought my new Civic, my 3-year old doughter puked after half an hour driving'.

Perhaps it was her driving that done it! :)

TOP TIP - I have travelled all over Europe with 2 kids in the back of the car and found that if you put them in the boot with a good boot liner, torch, felt tip pens and books it does the trick! Do NOT and I repeat DO NOT give the little buggers food or drink! They WILL thank you for this when they are older!

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I Do not think there is any hard & fast sure method of stopping car sickness.
If you can try to make time to stop regularly. Get your daughter out of the car, jog around get some fresh air, (Don't buy Ice cream,etc.) Look at shops/Countryside.
I remember one particular journey to Wales for a Holiday. I had stopped a couple of times when I got the "I feel sick messages". Was doing pretty well I thought, until we were about a mile from our destination, then she exploded, filling the back of the car, (Then it was "I don,t remember her eating all these carrots"),nice to clean up.
Motorways are definitely better than twisty mountain roads taken at speed, for a child's stomach at least.
Most grow out of this phase, and before you know it your Sickly Daughter has passed her driving test, as mine just has. The years they do fly.
Best of luck
Tor

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Only after a couple of days after I bought my new Civic, my 3-year old doughter puked after half an hour driving.

I know the Civic isn't the most comfortable car, but this is not what I wanted from my new car.

Does anyone have a solution? I prefer not giving her medicine every trip.

Or do I just have to get more accustomed with the car?

Previously I drove a Renault Megane.
Adoption:D

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Don't forget some people are prone to travel sickness and may be all their life - I have a friend who prefers to drive as it takes their mind off feeling sick - if they don't drive they frequently are!!

Also stops every 1/2 hour or so, if possible, help, at least it did for one of my daughters when she was little. Also, it didn't matter what car she was in - mine, her aunts or friends - she still felt sick. But we managed without medicine. How about some of those wristband things - they are susposed to be good.

Now me, I'm never car sick - just air sick ie altitude sickness!
everyone that gets in my ctr claim to have this too, they say they need to drive or else they may be sick :)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
How about some of those wristband things - they are susposed to be good.
my wife swears by these, and for her they definately work :)

No idea if it's all in her mind, or they actually do something, but if she's not wearing them she gets carsick, and wearing them she doesn't - so I'm not going to dig any deeper into why! :D

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Well new car smell is technically mildly toxic and perhaps her delicate stomach/body could have been upset by this? Does she get ill in other peoples cars? Time to call a taxi I think ;-)

Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
It could be worse. My friend was driving up to Scotland and gave someone a lift (he's in the Navy and they share rides quite a bit).

The guy he was giving a lift to fell asleep and spilt half a pint of milk on the seat. Didn't realise until a couple of hours into the journey!

His car stinks now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My niece used to be the same-ther isn't really much you can do most of the time. She is much better at travelling now- we always found keeping her mind occupied worked best! Hopefully my 1 year old won't be the same as we travel up to the highlands regularly to visit the mother in law!

I think softer sprung cars are actually worse for travel sickness.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts