2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.
I have been trying to locate a rattle my 08 FN2 makes especially when setting off in low revs.

I have checked and removed most of the heatshields, but the rattle continues. I think I have now pinpointed the rattle to the pulley area, and closer to the air-conditioning pulley that the idle pulley. But because the rattle is so difficult to reproduce (only happens when setting off in first or in reverse and under 2k rpms) i can't say for sure where it is..

But can pulleys make a loud rattle if they are going bad, or may this be something worse? And do you have a tip for as to how I can reproduce this rattle without having to actually sit in the car and try to set off? And BTW. The rattle is fairly loud and can make heads turn when setting off in parking lots etc..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a pulley go bad on a crv, but it didn't rattle - it was more of a whine semi-squeak.

It was a tensioner pulley, the other's may be different.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. I have read that both rattle and whine are characteristics of pulleys going bad.

The thing is that the rattle sounds more like plastic on metal, than metal on metal. I'm trying to rule out chain rattle because of the sound, and the situation that produces the rattle. But I have been mistaken before

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Hi.
I have been trying to locate a rattle my 08 FN2 makes especially when setting off in low revs.

I have checked and removed most of the heatshields, but the rattle continues. I think I have now pinpointed the rattle to the pulley area, and closer to the air-conditioning pulley that the idle pulley. But because the rattle is so difficult to reproduce (only happens when setting off in first or in reverse and under 2k rpms) i can't say for sure where it is..

But can pulleys make a loud rattle if they are going bad, or may this be something worse? And do you have a tip for as to how I can reproduce this rattle without having to actually sit in the car and try to set off? And BTW. The rattle is fairly loud and can make heads turn when setting off in parking lots etc..

I would get that checked out immediately as it could also be the timing chain rattling about in the chain housing if the tensioner has failed and it could easily jump off the cogs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would get that checked out immediately as it could also be the timing chain rattling about in the chain housing if the tensioner has failed and it could easily jump off the cogs.
Crap.. that's gonna burn my wallet pretty bad to get the stealers to check it out I guess.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have not had it in for a check yet, but found this video that has the exact same rattle as mine. Mine also sometimes come on when the fans kick in, just like in the video. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the fault, and not something chain related!

Is there a way that i can check if my serpentine tensioner is gone?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be clear. I'm not trying to cheap out on the car. But I like to fix and diagnose as much as I can my self. So any tips as to what I can look for or test would be really appreciated :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So i had a look today, and found out that my idle pulley (tensioner) actually had some play in it while the engine was running, i could se it slightly moving. I checked the indicator on the tensioner, only to find that it is out of range, as to where it should be. I have attached an image to show you what i mean. In the picture, the arrow should be pointing within the rectangle if it is operating as it should. This strenghtens my theory about the tensioner being shot, and thus creating the rattle that can be heard in the video i have attached further up in this thread. My rattle is not constant as in the video, but it happens when the engine is under strain (setting off and when the AC kicks in)

http://imgur.com/a/qlp6R

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update. Finally got this sorted. It was my auto tensioner that had gone bad. Replaced it and no more rattle! Really happy it was not the chain slapping around :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts