2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've noticed my fn2 pulls to the left when braking fairly hard. Not noticed it when braking gently but when over about 1/2 the pedal travel it pulls. The steering wheel doesn't move at all. The pull would be enough to make me change lanes if braking from 50-60 and I didn't counter steer.

I've had new front disks and pads fitted a few months ago. The rear disks aren't looking their finest and look like they've been pad slapped. Don't feel any warp-age however. I've been meaning to change them but not got round to it.

The left front brakes are slightly warmer after a drive compared to the front right. Also, ive noticed that the front left pretty much constantly squeaks when hot. Example, stopping from motorway would set it off and will carry on until they cool down slightly. Normal town driving doesn't really set it off. Anyone have any ideas about that? As far as I can tell they don't stick on when they're squeaking, they're just noisy.

Was going to do a fluid change at some point to see if that helps but thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced something similar and had any ideas? May need to refit the front left brake because they're the only ones that squeak perhaps

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Sticking passenger caliper. Rebuild both front calipers like I did fir piece of mind.
Better to do it asap if you not fancy to replace pads and discs as well due to overheating.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sticking passenger caliper. Rebuild both front calipers like I did fir piece of mind.
Better to do it asap if you not fancy to replace pads and discs as well due to overheating.
How much would a rebuild cost? Would it be a suitable DIY job? Or do you have any recommendations for places I could go to? I didn't think it would be the caliper because it's not really sticking on when I'm rolling. As in I don't come to a stop if I roll slightly.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I did it myself with the rebuild kit from japcarparts - it’s not hard job, but not sure how confident you are working on your brakes.
If calipers sticks you will know straight away - when it happened to me(car started decelerating in unusual way) I noticed straight away, touched both front rims(passenger was warm and drivers cold) and bought two kits within an hour. Passenger is common to seize first, but it good idea to do both. Piston inside gets corroded and stops moving. To check it’s condition you can press the brake gently when calipers is off, but connected to the line and push dust boot away to inspect the piston for corrosion. You will need calipers rewind tool or something to push piston back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I didn't realise I wrote my reply in the quote.

My old EP civic had a sticking caliper so I know the feels. I try and search for that same feeling with this which I don't think is happening. I.e coming to a stop while rolling gently on a flat road or listening for the contact. The drivers side was only slightly less warm than the passengers. But really you are right and it should be the same.

I think my warranty expires next week but I'm not sure how willing the guy I bought it off will be. I've already been back numerous times and mentioned the brake squeal a few times too. So it might be a job for me.

Brake jobs are simple enough I reckon. I'll watch a few YouTube videos see if it's feasible. Or I'll just head to my mates and get him to do it.

Thanks for your advice mate. Appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
If it pulls to the left when you brake fairly hard, I would be looking at the drivers side front brake first. The passenger side is clearly working. Check all boots, both sliders and that the piston is free to move.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all that replied. Car is booked in with the guy I bought it off on Tuesday and he said he would grease up for me. I did want to do it myself but the warranty is expiring soon so might as well.

If it pulls to the left when you brake fairly hard, I would be looking at the drivers side front brake first. The passenger side is clearly working. Check all boots, both sliders and that the piston is free to move.
The driver side was still warm which is what made me think if there's something other than a caliper being stuck. But hopefully it should be sorted soon. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,734 Posts
id also tend to go with right hand side
if its pulling to 1 side and it is down to brakes it suggests the side that's trying to go further is not braking
same as if 1 side locks strip the opposite side

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks to all that replied. Car is booked in with the guy I bought it off on Tuesday and he said he would grease up for me. I did want to do it myself but the warranty is expiring soon so might as well.

The driver side was still warm which is what made me think if there's something other than a caliper being stuck. But hopefully it should be sorted soon. Thank you.
Looks to me the caliper needs replacing if after lubricating the caliper sliders doesnt do the trick part cost for a replacement caliper about £55 easy job to do

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts