2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Push and no start.

Electrics 
2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Relic 
#1 ·
Ive already put a post on here before about my car not starting.

It done it again tonight and it felt like the start button wasn't connecting with what ever is behind it.

Ive read about MICU issues and power being drained so decided to call honda. When I called honda the other day they knew nothing about problems with the type r and dodgy starting. They just said its prob due to cold weather.

Surely one of the world most reliable brands in motoring doesn't work just because its cold.

When the start button is pressed it just makes a strange hissing sound. All interior lights are very bright, it got a new battery a few weeks ago. After trying a few times it eventually started. I dont think i came out of vtec all the way home i was so angry with it not starting.

Can anyone shed some light on the problem or am I pulling my pants down for honda to fix the fault.lol

#2 ·
I've had the same problems! You press the start button and nothing, but you can hear a noise like the fans are going, you press it again and it starts?
This is a problem with the flywheel which Honda are aware of. I had my flywheel replaced back in 2007.
Harps
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
As above, +1

#5 ·
Im not overly bothered just now but it took over 5 mins sitting in the car trying to start the thing last night.

It will bother me when it gets to -18 and I need to sit in a freezing car waiting on recovery for 30 mins.

I must have hit the button about 12 times last night.:facepalm:

#7 ·
I would think its either the starter motor or ringgear on the flywheel.
Could be the engagement or missing teeth.
Either way its a fault and something needs replacing IMO.

#9 · (Edited)
2007 HONDA CIVIC 2.2 TYPE S STARTER MOTOR (MITSUBISHI) (DIESEL) - Honda Original Parts from Lings Honda v1.01
This is diesel....
...but its normally the engagement solenoid stops working (or ring teeth break off).
Havent seen a starter motor like this before.
Uses a selector fork which is pushed by the solenoid.
So I would change item 16 myself to see if that fixes it.
But I would also check the selector fork can move in and out freely.

Looking at the price of the parts... probably better off getting a new complete unit.
Probably get some off fleabay with luck.

Changing the ring gear is a massive job. Pray its not that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.