2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Peeps. I've just bought my first Civic. Type S GT diesel, low mileage (66k) 2007. I'm having a problem with the push start, in that, it doesn't want to, hot or cold. I wait for the glowplug symbol to go off, making sure the radio and heater is turned off, sometimes it takes 2/3 goes to start. I'm thinking the battery, as I've no idea when it was last changed. Any other ideas?

Also, I was thinking of buying a diesel tuning module from Energy Tuning UK, has anyone had any experiance with one, does it really make that much of a difference?? (I cant provide a link as I haven't posted 5 times :frown2:)

TIA :nerd:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Diesal not starting could be a number of things. Firstly ide get it down to Halfords and request a free battery and alternator check. Personally I don't think it will be the battery if it does eventually start after 2 or 3 goes. Logically the battery would have less charge each time u try reducing the likelihood of it starting.

Ide say it's more likely the glow plugs themselves, the 2.2 cdti has 2 which are not difficult to change as long as u can unscrew them (just go gently and put a good amount of rust pentrant/WD40 on first). These cost £30 a pop from eurocar parts but when discount is available u can get them for £20.

Alternatively it could be the starter, but normally when this goes there is no starting.

Good luck :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mention the push start, does it crank every time you press the button or is that the problem?
it does crank yes, but as soon as i let go of the button it doesnt start. With an ignition key you can normally tell if it'll start but with the button I've no no feeling at all. I dont want to 'over start' it if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diesal not starting could be a number of things. Firstly ide get it down to Halfords and request a free battery and alternator check.
Thanks James. Will do that in the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
No problem buddy, make sure u let us know how it goes. I can remember having the same issue with my Peugeot 206, after changing the battery and alternator, cutting my hands to bits in the process, it turned out to be the glow plugs. There wasn't nice forums around in those days :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem buddy, make sure u let us know how it goes. I can remember having the same issue with my Peugeot 206, after changing the battery and alternator, cutting my hands to bits in the process, it turned out to be the glow plugs. There wasn't nice forums around in those days :)

Booked in for tomorrow at 12.30. [smilie=upyeah.gif]

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Do go careful though mate, see if u can read the meter they use whilst they are testing. See if at the end it says it's all good for yourself.

A colleague at work got conned into buying a new battery as the tech from halfords told her she needed it when her husband had only just brought one from there the weekend before!!

She didn't know he'd fixed the cold start problem, so he marched in and order them to retest the battery he had brought. Guess what, it was fine. That was in Dorchester by the way.

·
Super Moderator
2,393 Posts
it does crank yes, but as soon as i let go of the button it doesnt start. With an ignition key you can normally tell if it'll start but with the button I've no no feeling at all. I dont want to 'over start' it if you know what i mean.
the button is just the same as turning key
are you sure your pressing it long enough
its a big old lump the 2.2 diesel it will need to turn over a time or 2 before it bursts into life
you should be ok pressing button for a decent amount of time
obviously if it hasnt started after 5 to 10 seconds then give it a rest

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the button is just the same as turning key
are you sure your pressing it long enough
its a big old lump the 2.2 diesel it will need to turn over a time or 2 before it bursts into life
you should be ok pressing button for a decent amount of time
obviously if it hasnt started after 5 to 10 seconds then give it a rest
Ah, ok. Will give that a go. Thanks. When you over turn a key start you get that 'whirring' sound from the starter motor, am I likely to hear that with the push start?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
The starter is not that loud on the 2.2 but you can hear it cranking over, weather you are turning a key to position 3 or pushing a button has no affect on the noise of the starter.

I did think at first that the button just needed a tap and the ECU would keep the starter running until the engine fired (or a period of time had passed with no fire in the hole) but no, it's not that complex, the power to the starter is cut as soon as you release the button.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts