2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
im just after a little advice on my brakes, before we get too deep ...they work ok and passed mot fine.

the issue i have is sometimes they are bang on and stop really well, other times they have a lot of travel on the pedal but work well at the end, its puzzling me a little.

it has has new discs and pads all around 3 months ago so they are all good

thanks

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the fast response

not that i know of but all my bleed nipples are seized so that's 4 new calipers potentially if that's the route i need to go, hence i'm looking for other options as they a'rent cheap are they

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
If you're not too sure about your bleed nipples (they can stick between servicing the fluid) then just go get a fluid replacement from honda. I think it's like £30 iirc. Check their website.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're not too sure about your bleed nipples (they can stick between servicing the fluid) then just go get a fluid replacement from honda. I think it's like £30 iirc. Check their website.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
they are definitely stuck wont budge fear of snapping off is to great lol

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
It's good that you've changed disks/pads, that should give a good base to work from.

Under what conditions do the brakes work better or worse, after repeated stops, etc?

If you pump the pedal then does the brake pedal feel harder and the car brake better?

If so, then it's very likely that your fluid is past it's best.

What is the colour of the brake fluid in the reservoir?

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's strange because sometimes in the morning they are great and stay like it. Other days they are good then go soft and other days they are just soft.

I'll look at the fluid at lunch again and take a pic but if I remember it's a yellowish colour.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Thats low for a start and needs changing. It should be the colour of light straw from fresh.

Get honda to change the fluid for £30, if they brake the nipples, they'll replace them.

·
i-Vtec
2,259 Posts
Yea that's old fluid, it will be worse in the lines. For bleed nipples I have a few tips. A good wire brushing to start with is essential. Then make sure you have a single Hex socket(or a break line Spanner), it must be single Hex as multi hex will just destroy the nipple. When your ready to do the job fill the kettle full, right to the brim. Then pour the boiling water slowly over the nipple. This will provide just enough heat the expand the metal, then slowly try to undo the nipple. This has worked for me a few times.

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,120 Posts
Thats low for a start and needs changing. It should be the colour of light straw from fresh.

Get honda to change the fluid for £30, if they brake the nipples, they'll replace them.
I think you'll find it's £65 for brake fluid, £35 for clutch on Honda fixed price menu.
I'd get the clutch done too if that's the state of the brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bit of overkill but I've brought 4 new calipers through work £288 but I've decided I'm keeping the car for another couple of years and as it's cost me nothing else in 12 months I'll treat her lol. New calipers then a good bleed then a service jobs a goodun .

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The new stuff will help get it all to bleed so will be a start but hopefully solve it all, new calipers and new brake fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a thought

Left field response - I have inconsistent brakes and its down to a brake servo vacuum leak. Test is to see how many times the pedal will show assistance once engine turned off. Should be 3-4 times, if only 1 you've got a leak. Try you tube for brake servo (booster) testing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi
having read all above, you may have had the rear callipars gone over center thist would have given you excessive travel
i have found some times the handbrake would be right up high then the next time you used it their would have been to much travel due to the callipars going over center
so fitting new parts as above would and should cover all angles of your fault
dirk 1

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the stuff in bowl was the brake fluid and the stuff in the bottle was clutch fluid , I only needed to change 1 caliper as all the others bled well in the end. I adjusted handbrake too.

Was well chuffed with my mornings work. Firm pedal until I went for a test drive, it got spongier the more I went.

Definitely no air in system.

At a loss now unless it is a vacuum leak but looking under the bonnet I can't see where the hose is that goes into servo.

Bit sad now lol

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Left field response - I have inconsistent brakes and its down to a brake servo vacuum leak. Test is to see how many times the pedal will show assistance once engine turned off. Should be 3-4 times, if only 1 you've got a leak. Try you tube for brake servo (booster) testing.
Do you need a new servo or just a hose?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts