2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the phone call from Honda after purchasing the new toy. Normal call centre wallah, but he asked if there was anything I would like to pass back to Honda..... well !!! Here goes:

Quality appears fine on initial inspection, but it does not stand up to scutiny. Gave examples of the crappy fuel filler (already jammed), the rear shockers (already knocking) and the door handles which whilst they look lovely have all the slick action of an airfix kit.

This is aimed at the premium end of the market, but it falls some way short of a Golf in many key quality areas.

Now before you guys/gals go off and say why did'nt you buy a Golf, I have to say I love the look of the Civic, but the overall experience is a bit of a let down. By the way this our third Honda in just over a year (S2000 for the wife and Accord Diesel)

Any views? Was I being too harsh?

Richard

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I too was a little dissapointed with the build quality and materials of the Civic I believe my first post on here was very similar to yours! I told Honda that I felt that way when they phoned.

But to be honest, I forgive all of it's short-comings for the way it looks, the way it drives, and the way it makes me feel. Any problems that do crop up (which I'd rather they not) will be fixed under warranty, so until that time is up, I'm quite happy

·
Registered
450 Posts
No - you were being fair!

This Civic is my 3rd Honda too, and both the others had much better 'quality'.

I have had rear shockers done even though the car was only built in July after they knew about the problem

I have a poor voice control/hands free - not solved yet

I had a (minor) problem with boot light - easily solved by dealer

I agree over the door handles, the fuel filler (though mine works OK), and the tailgate on mine is not well aligned, though since it closes OK and doesn't leak (see others problems) I'm leaving alone!

I would add poor 'fake aluminium' plastic trim items, poor material on the back of the rear seats, and others have suffered poor bumper fits and scratched dashboards, and the lack of a spare wheel except at extra cost is plain mean.

I think you are being quite fair. I like my car, and it is a very nice drive, but its been let down by poor quality, poor attention to some details and cost cutting on trivial items.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I must agree also, but, as Bungle put it you soon forget about the issues. When talking to people about the problems I always have to add that not-withstanding those issues it is the best car I have had, as far as how it makes you feel, looking good and just general feel good factor.

I have (and would again) recommend the Civic to anybody looking for a new car.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I would say that your comments are fair - but...

In my experience, it's not just Honda (not that it excuses them!)

I'm lucky enough to have a company car, and as such my last 4 have all been brand new.
A3, A4 and TT

Each and every one of them has had minor niggles, and that was me being lucky - I know of several TT owners who had fault after fault on brand new ones - and that's on a car costing nearly twice as much as a Civic.

I also had a good long look at pretty much all the manufacturers before going for the Civic this time round (though once I finally spotted the Civic it was an easy choice :D )

Next time you pass a BMW dlr, pop in and have a look at the air vents on a new 1 series...

An interesting read for anyone bemoaning the lack of (for example) real Alu instead of fake plastic is 'Wheels' by Arthur Haley.
Not the most interesting of books, but (I beleive) based on real life.
The up-front cost of changing a £1 item (plastic) to a £5 item (real Aluminium) can run to hundreds of thousands of pounds

And don't forget that everything is built to a certain price point.

Just becuase they add £5 to the cost of the build doesn't neccessarily mean they can add £5 to the sale price of the car.

NONE of which excuses anything, but does go a long way to explaining why we get what we get.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
TTDegs said:
I would say that your comments are fair - but...

In my experience, it's not just Honda (not that it excuses them!)

I'm lucky enough to have a company car, and as such my last 4 have all been brand new.
A3, A4 and TT

Each and every one of them has had minor niggles, and that was me being lucky - I know of several TT owners who had fault after fault on brand new ones - and that's on a car costing nearly twice as much as a Civic.

I also had a good long look at pretty much all the manufacturers before going for the Civic this time round (though once I finally spotted the Civic it was an easy choice :D )

Next time you pass a BMW dlr, pop in and have a look at the air vents on a new 1 series...

An interesting read for anyone bemoaning the lack of (for example) real Alu instead of fake plastic is 'Wheels' by Arthur Haley.
Not the most interesting of books, but (I beleive) based on real life.
The up-front cost of changing a £1 item (plastic) to a £5 item (real Aluminium) can run to hundreds of thousands of pounds

And don't forget that everything is built to a certain price point.

Just becuase they add £5 to the cost of the build doesn't neccessarily mean they can add £5 to the sale price of the car.

NONE of which excuses anything, but does go a long way to explaining why we get what we get.
What's with the vents on the BMWs? And waht does dlr mean? :(

If you read any reader reviews of Alfa Romeos or Astom Martins, or TVRs, or Ranaults, or Pugs, or Fords, OK you get the point...The Civic isn't really too bad, most of faults are only minor, no stalling engines or dodgy electronics yet.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
sorry! :oops:

dlr - Dealer or Dealership :D

Re the air vents:
You know the horizontal bits of plastic on the vents that let you direct the airflow up / down & side to side?

Lets just say that BMW seem to think they are a 'set and forget' option - they feel as if they would break in your hands if you moved them more than once...

Ok - a bit of an exaggeration, but they are wafer thin, with a real 'cheap plastic' feel to them - not what I was expecting in a £30K car at all :(

·
Registered
226 Posts
The vents are nothing, apparently all BMW's have a faulty indicator stalk, but it seems that no BMW driver has yet mentioned it to their dealers.

Can't think why!!! :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
tvrman said:
Got the phone call from Honda after purchasing the new toy. Normal call centre wallah, but he asked if there was anything I would like to pass back to Honda..... well !!! Here goes:

Quality appears fine on initial inspection, but it does not stand up to scutiny. Gave examples of the crappy fuel filler (already jammed), the rear shockers (already knocking) and the door handles which whilst they look lovely have all the slick action of an airfix kit.

This is aimed at the premium end of the market, but it falls some way short of a Golf in many key quality areas.

Now before you guys/gals go off and say why did'nt you buy a Golf, I have to say I love the look of the Civic, but the overall experience is a bit of a let down. By the way this our third Honda in just over a year (S2000 for the wife and Accord Diesel)

Any views? Was I being too harsh?

Richard
Valid comments! I must admit that there are few things that take the gloss off the Civic, but I fully agree with the other comments; I have never had a car that I have enjoyed driving as much or looks as good.
It's strange about some of the tacky materials because in other areas it is exceptional for a car in this class ... the steering wheel, the sat nav control knob, the way the doors shut etc.
To have an equivalent spec Golf or Focus costs considerably more, so all in all it a great car for the money!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think that if anyone has a point that they want to make, it should be made none the less. If its constuctive, it can only be used to improve stuff.

I still think that Honda's are about the best, had a ford once with a bonnet that was a different shade of blue to the rest of the car!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 'other' cars (ones to look at, not drive ;)), two are BMWs, a 1992 M5 and a 2000 M5.

The gap in build quality between these two is astonishing. The 92 (which I no longer have, but a friend owns) is still solid as a rock. The 2000 (which lives in the garage due to aforementioned football injury), while unquestionably a LOT faster (400bhp!), has:

- Broken rear air vents and cupholders
- An analogue telephone (erm...in 2000?)
- A 'normal' clutch as you'd have on a 130bhp 518i. I've replaced it four times. 369lb of torque, maybe? It *is* light, but not up to the task at ALL.
- Tiny, brittle, stupid clips that hold the anti-roll bars together (!). They cost £19 each FROM THE DEALERS which will give you an idea of their 'quality'. They snap off the rear all the time (again with the torque!).

It's still wonderful to drive, but for a £70k car (with the options), it's a bit of a pisstake (especially the phone). My friends Mercedes are similar, one has a (fabulous) E-class Cosworth

My indicators work, but I choose not to use them as people should just make way for us BMW drivers.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
tvrman - that does suggest a current or former owner of one of Blackpools finest although I think a lot of folk who have owned one would never talk of build quality and TVR in the same sentence. I do find some of the Civic build a bit on the cheap side but then again as has been said previously are not all new cars very similar in this respect. I was going for a VW before seeing the civic but was so dissapointed with the look and feel of the interior of the Passat and the test drive did nothing to improve this impression that I abandoned the VW idea. The civic is like a breath of fresh air and every time I look at mine I have to try extremely hard to suppress the smile that creeps over my face. :D

·
Registered
975 Posts
i think the civic proves no matter what car make you are you just cant make a fun and cool car without lowerd qualityt and reliability.

·
Registered
277 Posts
tvrman - are the problems you mention from a very recent newly delivered car ? I thought the shocks were a bad batch and that any cars being delivered recently should be without them. Am I wrong here (not for the first time !) ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
My only complaints are about the door handles, the drivers door handle is especially tricky and doesnt work as smoothly as the front passangers door handle and the front bumpers paint chipping

I checked out Opel Astra (vauxhall), Seat Leon, Grande Punto and other vehicles in the weekend. Im especially happy that i chose the Civic, even the sound which the doors make when they are closed are way better than on the other cars, they just sound crude and metallic compared to the nice sound of the civic. I also enjoy the interior of the civic way above Leon or Golf for example. I get no additional sounds (the one i had in the beginning has dissapeared) and even though the car is plastic.. so are every other car these days, including golf's and audi's and not to forget the Golf's interior is just plain boring as is the exterior of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was going to add things like the internal 'aluminium' plastics are crap and the whole feel is just like a cheap japanese hi-fi, but thought that I should not be too negative.

Hopefully Honda read these posts and will work out for themselves that the Forums like this represent well informed and sensible user choosers!

I love the Civic for all the other reasons, like space, styling, drive, but it's just a bit of a let down in some areas.

Just to add Im getting between 43-44 mpg so who needs a diesel!!!!

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Newboy said:
tvrman - are the problems you mention from a very recent newly delivered car ? I thought the shocks were a bad batch and that any cars being delivered recently should be without them. Am I wrong here (not for the first time !) ?
The faulty parts were continued to be used in Swindon after they realised they were problematic.

As it's not a safety issue, I suspect this happened to save costs. There is no recall for them, just a note saying they can be replaced on customer request.

Not all of the ones from the faulty batch knock, at least not immediately.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I will say, regarding the mock aluminium plasticy stuff, that I would rather have that than some of the tacky/nasty interior trims you see on many cars.

I do think that Honda have made a valiant effort to spice up the middle of the range, run of the mill family hatch, and have done a good job

1 - 20 of 20 Posts