2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I make a CD of MP3s or WMAs to play in the car, can I leave them in the folders when they're ripped, or do I have to just have the individual songs on the CD?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
You can rip them in to folders, it works best with only 1 folder deep though; but will go a few levels.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
One thing to point out, it works like this..(this is non-ex, not sure about ex)

/ - Folder 1
/Artist1/ - Folder 2
/Artist1/Album1/ - Folder 3
/Artist1/Album2/ - Folder 4
/Artist2/ - Folder 5
/Artist2/Album1/ - Folder 6

Given that there's only songs within the Album folders, only folder 3, 4 and 6 will be accessible, it will skip straight to them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a small problem in that the CD is 650mb, and 74 minutes. Although the files don't add up to 650mb, so does it just let you record 74 minutes worth? If not, can I get it to allow the full 650mb?

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
If you are talking MP3 then the 74mins goes straight out of the window.

You burn MP3 in data mode and I am getting circa 6 or 7 LP's onto a single CDR in the highest quality mode the Civ will accept.

As far as the EX goes the same folder structure applies.

Folder 1 is the root and the rest work from Folder 2 onwards.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I've had a small problem in that the CD is 650mb, and 74 minutes. Although the files don't add up to 650mb, so does it just let you record 74 minutes worth? If not, can I get it to allow the full 650mb?
You can also get CDs of 700MB/79mins if you want to squeeze another 10-ish songs on there... I thought 650MB/74min CDs were hard to come by now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yep I burn all mine on 80 min CDRW usually 128Kbps WMA which sounds better than 128Kbps MP3. That quality is fine for in the car when you can't hear it too well anyway with all the other noises going on around you.

I have all my albums archived as WMA Lossless Audio files on a home server so making a new CD for the car means I simply convert the albums I want to 128Kbps WMA or MP3s or whatever and chuck them on a CD.

I can get between 12-16 albums on a CD (depending on how big the albums are) that way and then when I get bored of it erase the disc and start again.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
I've burn a cd with just one file and lot of songs in it (from my playlist).
The player is very long before playing the music when I Insert the CD, a little bit less when I start again (must be over one mn) is it usual ?

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I've burn a cd with just one file and lot of songs in it (from my playlist).
The player is very long before playing the music when I Insert the CD, a little bit less when I start again (must be over one mn) is it usual ?
You might find you have faster start-up if you put each "album" in its own folder in the root of the CD, so the depth of the folder tree is only 1-deep. This way you still have ease of selecting the album you want by folder rather than skipping through each track in turn.

To do this on Windows XP, select each album folder in turn with a right click & select "Send to" & choose your CD writer drive.

When you then go to My Computer & select the CD drive you will see files waiting to be written to disk. Here you can make any structural adjustments & rename any files or folders before burning.

You get more control over the structure this way than by using Media Player...

Also, put the 1st album of tracks in the root alongside the subsequent album folders & this album will show as folder 1.

This minimises the number of folders but keeps the album separation - this should help with the speed of disk reading... but then maybe not. Makes sense tho... :rolleyes:

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
I hate those damn TA anouncements, can't figure out how to turn them off :(

I also find track names/album info takes a fairly long time to display on screen.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
You lucky one You do have TA annoncement, We dont exept on certain motorway, so you know that you will be stuck in a traffic jam when you are in the traffic jam ....:(

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I hate those damn TA anouncements, can't figure out how to turn them off :(

I also find track names/album info takes a fairly long time to display on screen.
There's a TA button on the radio. Or am I missing something here?

·
Fallen Angel
1,229 Posts
Does that mean my TA is switched off...cos no one ever tells me i am about to be stuck in a huge traffic jam...god damn cheshire and stoke roads!!!!!!

I thought all my tracks were called "converted"...clearly not;)
Why is it important that the track name is displayed quickly..i mean if u put the track on the cd u obviously like it!!!!:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
There could be, I'll have another look, couldn't see anything earlier.
What I thought I may have been missing was if you really did not know about the TA system.

There is a TA button near the centre of the radio control panel that toggles TA on/off on the radio screen, alongside where TP is displayed.

When TA is showing you will get interrupted; when not showing you will not. Simple.

Although I've not tried this on the Civic, holding the TA button on my former car's Pioneer head unit switched on/off news alerts too...

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
The TA/TP functions can be turned on or off as required.

If you are on a local 'un-syndicated' station then you only get the half hourly or hourly interruptions, but try Radio 1 and the world and his wife interrupts you with what is happening as the TA/TP RDS kicks in.

On mine I now have:
  • SatNav TMC traffic warnings
  • TrafficMaster Freeway warnings (still got 9 months subscription left)
  • TA Traffic announcements
And I bet I still get caught one day!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I'm getting my Civic in June and the mp3 ability was actually a prerequisite for me to get the car, because I've grown to love that feature in my present car.

What I'm wondering now is: Is there a "shuffle" option to play the mp3s from the CD? If so, can you choose "shuffle-folder" and "shuffle-disc"? I like mixing up my music so this is important to me... Does anyone know?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts