2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I know the FN2 received HID headlights in the '09 face-lift. Just wondering if anyone knows if the headlight units were changed or was it just a bulb upgrade.

Thinking about going HID on mine but not sure if the pre '09 units are safe (heat-wise) for HID's and if the beams will be affected (will it pass MoT).

Any input would be appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
You also need to consider its technical fail if you don't have headlight washers and a self levelling headlight which it has neither. Most of the units on here pass though. Just depends how fussy your MOT tester is.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I didn't know they were self-leveling. So it was a full headlamp unit upgrade. Hmm, time to visit the scrappers. I recon I'll be lucky to find a pair.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really?! So they're a legal requirement? Hmm, this could be more trouble than it's worth. I'll have to have a think about this.

Cheers for the replies guys :)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
You know what, I was just reading the test guidelines (1.7 - Headlamps) and I take it back.

VOSA said:
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge
(HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted
with headlamp washers and a suspension or
headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work;
however, it is accepted that it may not be possible
to readily determine the functioning of self levelling
systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt
must be given.
VOSA said:
Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are
fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the
operation of any headlamp levelling and
cleaning devices fitted.
Reading this, there is no requirement to have either fitted - just that they must work if present. This is out of the guidelines published in Jan 2012 so may have been updated... but there's another thread where people are passing MOTs with HIDs.

Might print a copy and keep it in the car in case I get pulled :police:

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great Syx, cheers for going to the effort. Looks like it's deffo a viable option. In fact, I think there are some in the for sale section...

Thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
That's great Syx, cheers for going to the effort. Looks like it's deffo a viable option. In fact, I think there are some in the for sale section...

Thanks again :)
Interesting. I've just checked the below which is from the VOSA manual. Doesn't mention an MOT fail for a vehicle not having washers or self levelling?

MOT testing manuals and guides

·
Registered
191 Posts
OP, as to if there were any upgrades to the headlight housing itself, I'd like to know this too!

Though it's worth mentioning that a lot of guys on here (including myself) are running HID kits and the stock headlights seem to be pretty good (not as good as projectors, but good enough that no one really complains about being blinded).

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
You just have to be careful with the 8th Gen Civic that you get a HID kit with H7R bulbs which are specifically for the Reflector type headlights that the Civic has, otherwise it will fail the MOT because the beam pattern will be all wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
OP, as to if there were any upgrades to the headlight housing itself, I'd like to know this too!

Though it's worth mentioning that a lot of guys on here (including myself) are running HID kits and the stock headlights seem to be pretty good (not as good as projectors, but good enough that no one really complains about being blinded).
It maybe worth getting the headlight housing or lamp shield from an OEM HID headlight and then installing a HID kit.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just totted the Honda HID parts up from that link.. they come to £1300, that could be plus vat, too :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Nice. I think the only difference with the actual headlight between HID and non-HID OEM would be the shield in front of the bulb you would have on a HID model. Last time i check the complete headlight can be picked up for around £50 a side on ebay.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 20 of 27 Posts