2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

The Headunit I have bought has a (Subwoofer out) connection although it's mono output so only one phono lead can be plugged in. Though my amplifier take a Stereo RCA input so basically I need a cable that looks like this:

But I have a standard Stereo RCA to Stereo RCA cable, so the question is can I just plug one RCA jack into my amplifier and will it then work?

Thanks Guys! :)

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
But it's an amp that goes to a single Mono Subwoofer. Would it matter?
Well, probably not a whole lot, no. You do get some songs where the left and right audio are different for certain parts of songs and effects, so you'd miss out on parts (although i'm not sure how much bass varies between L and R, it tends to be foreground sounds like vocals, effects, guitars etc).

Personally, i'd want both signals going in to get the full effect.

EDIT: to be clear, the speaker has a mono input because it's only one speaker, but ideally, you'd want both L and R signals feeding into it. The sub would then no longer be able to distinguish between the signal being for L or R, but it doesn't need to, as it pumps it all out of the one speaker.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I would expect it's designed like this as most of the time when there's a split between left and right audio, it's at frequencies above what a normal subwoofer would be interested in.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Doesn't matter if the headunit only has a mono subwoofer output as both the left and right signal will go through it. For example if your LPF cut off is 80HZ, any information under 80HZ from both left and right channel will go through that single output.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
With all sound equipment when using mono, plug in the input marked "left". Stereo doesn't matter with bass because the brain doesn't tend to distinguish sound movement below 800Hz. That tends to work with mid highs because of the danger/hunting methods from when we were in our evolutionary youth. Also every sound system in the world tends to work in mono with its bass unless you're paying extreme prices for equipment or you are working in 7-12.1 surround sound.... I have a mate who works for Lynn and they don't even bother with stereo bass in their systems, and they are expensive.

shmoke and a pancake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts