1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, this one has been naggin me for a while... :D

Could we have a bit of a vote please?

Basically it boils down to 2 things:
For the R owners, would you still have bought it if it had a center rear belt and headrest (ie 5 seats, exactly the same as the S).

For the non-R owners, did you want an R, but had to rule it out because it didn't have 5 seats?

Please note - if you ruled out the R for other reasons (fuel consumption, image, costs, lack of HIDs etc), that is very sad :( But please don't vote or it'll skew the figures!

This poll is purely to work out if Honda made the right choice in deleting the middle rear seat on the R
That you! :D

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Voted, but quite frankly I will be lucky if there is ever more than me plus another in the car! Probably because nobody could fit in the back in the mini unles and I quote from my dad 'they wanted dvt' ha ha!

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Voted, for me it would probably have been a clear up side with 4 doors as well though.

Interesting that some people would activley choose another car if the CTR had 3 rear seats instead of 2....

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Voted, for me it would probably have been a clear up side with 4 doors as well though.

Interesting that some people would activley choose another car if the CTR had 3 rear seats instead of 2....

Do you think these people re ones with kids? Always good to have a little distance between children i think

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Do you think these people re ones with kids? Always good to have a little distance between children i think
Maybe... but I just can´t understand:

"wow what a great car, I must buy one of these. Oh? It has THREE rear seats, not just two? Oh, well no thanks then"..

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe... but I just can´t understand:

"wow what a great car, I must buy one of these. Oh? It has THREE rear seats, not just two? Oh, well no thanks then"..
that was my thinking too - and obviously Hondas... :(

Would be nice if any of those 3 people cared to say why! :D
(without risk of being jumped on obviously :lol:)

But interestingly (for me, geek that I am :lol:) it is apparent so far that Honda have potentially lost a lot more sales than they gained... :(

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Now if they had made it a 5 door then I wouldn't have bought it.

Could have had 2 seats for all I care, but it has to have 3 doors! Thats the reason I have never bought a Seat Leon because it has 5 doors!

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
I did not vote, 'cause I don't have the right to. :)
(I do not own a CTR, I didn't consider buying one, but if I would, the 3rd rear seat wouldn't be an issue. Wouldn't be on any car.)

Honda gave the CTR a sportier interior, omitting the third seat. Whoever considers buying a CTR is NOT the person that bothers moving 3 people in a 3-door hatch.
I have 2 kids and a 5-seat 5 door 2.2D, but if the 4-seat 3-door CTR would do the same job for the same price, I traded it in today.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not vote, 'cause I don't have the right to. :)
(I do not own a CTR, I didn't consider buying one, but if I would, the 3rd rear seat wouldn't be an issue. Wouldn't be on any car.)

Honda gave the CTR a sportier interior, omitting the third seat. Whoever considers buying a CTR is NOT the person that bothers moving 3 people in a 3-door hatch.
I have 2 kids and a 5-seat 5 door 2.2D, but if the 4-seat 3-door CTR would do the same job for the same price, I traded it in today.
cheers Koen :)

It would appear that your logic follows Hondas :D

However, I am a person who would consider buying a CTR, but because we have 3 kids between us, I can't...

Yes, I agree that a 5 door Type R would definately be aimed at a different market - but then that's why Honda should produce a Type D :wink:
But that's a different thread :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far, out of the 46 answers, Honda would have lost 3 sales, kept 26, and potentially sold 17 more...

Now obviously 29 CTR owners is hardly representative of the 9,000 or so sold to date, and 17 isn't representative of the thousands of non CTR owners.

Not that we will ever know, but I wonder how many people like me (who need 5 seats) then went off and bought from a different manufacturer...

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Not that we will ever know, but I wonder how many people like me (who need 5 seats) then went off and bought from a different manufacturer...
But then how many other hot hatches out there have 5 seats? The Focus ST only has 4, as does the Cooper S......thats only a couple.

So if people put off by lack of 3 seats in the back went to another manufacturer the chances are they didnt but a hot hatch anyway

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mazda MP3 appears to have 3 in the back.
As does the Seat Leon Cupra
Although, granted, both are 5 door. :D

and neither are as nice as a CTR :wink:

but if you've got a partner and 3 kids, there are non-Honda sports hatches out there and Honda are driving you away :(

Or more to the point, you can't drive away in a Honda...

·
Registered
712 Posts
I can't vote as there isn't a sutiable option. I did consider the R but decided against as I do a fair few miles so went for the Diesel. The Missus hates 3 door cars anyway, the fact it's a 4 seater never came into it.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fair comment cylon, cheers :)

I deliberately left out options for things like 'mpg too low' or 'not enough doors' as I wanted to get a pure feel for how many customers Honda are excluding by removing the rear middle belt :)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Audi S3 has 3 rear seats too :D

though you could debate if it quite makes it in the 'hot hatch' category :wink:

but it does only have 3 doors :D

bit more pricey than a CTR too...

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Audi S3 has 3 rear seats too :D

though you could debate if it quite makes it in the 'hot hatch' category :wink:

but it does only have 3 doors :D

bit more pricey than a CTR too...

Yeah, a lot more pricey than the CTR!

The Golf GTI (3 or 5 door), MPS & Seat have 3 seats in the back, but the ST has 2, as does the Astra VXR and the Megan Sport. Seems the ones that look good have 2 seats in the back. But thats my thoughts and are not a reflection on the population as a whole.

Please feel free to get back to the poll in hand (no pun intended for those with minds in the gutter!)

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
I would still have bought mine with 5 seats. As somebody else mentioned, the 4 seats was the only thing that made me consider whether it was the right thing to do (for about 1 minutes).

I have no kids (yet), even if I'd have had 2 kids I would have still bought the car. It's just the fact that about twice a year I probably have 5 people in the car and I always want to drive. Now I'll have to let somebody else drive their car :(

It wasn't a big enough deal to put me off but I can see why it would put some people off.

Edit: It's now 5 sales lost but a potential 23 new sales.

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
I did not realise untill 3 weeks after I bought it that it only had 2 seat belts in there rear :oops:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts