2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt realise that you have to decat you car to have a race manifold? How do you get round this insurance wise?

Oli

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
By not telling them. They won't insure it if it won't pass an mot which it won't legally. If you knew a friendly mot place that would stick the emissions test in another car then it will pass but as I said not legally. Even if you did get someone to do that I still think insurance wouldn't pay out if you were in an accident as they always seem to find a way round it

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By not telling them. They won't insure it if it won't pass an mot which it won't legally. If you knew a friendly mot place that would stick the emissions test in another car then it will pass but as I said not legally. Even if you did get someone to do that I still think insurance wouldn't pay out if you were in an accident as they always seem to find a way round it
Okay, well that's definitely changed my view on my next mod! LOL!:police:

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi James,

Many apologies, but after numerous calls to the insurer, I just cant get the manifold through - knowing myself that I'm at risk. Have called TDI and booked in for the JDM cams instead.

Really sorry to mess you about - and thanks for your patience with the matter. At least it will be snapped up quickly with the forming que!!

GLWTS

Luke
JDM Cams? How much is that?

·
BoInG BoInG
1,370 Posts
Well Paul quoted me £1Kish (would be rude to give exact figures) for the cams + tuning. However, because its 2nd sercvice time (so valve clearance time) im saving a hell of a lot of money on the second service as it can be done whilst changing the cams.

It works out cheaper for the cams then 2nd service, mani fitting, dyno tuned, (and £400 for the mani)

Plus my Im not fully raod legal and insured, which was the sticking point for me.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Paul quoted me £1Kish (would be rude to give exact figures) for the cams + tuning. However, because its 2nd sercvice time (so valve clearance time) im saving a hell of a lot of money on the second service as it can be done whilst changing the cams.

It works out cheaper for the cams then 2nd service, mani fitting, dyno tuned, (and £400 for the mani)

Plus my Im not fully raod legal and insured, which was the sticking point for me.
Understand. What sort of gains can you expect with the Cams?

·
BoInG BoInG
1,370 Posts
Understand. What sort of gains can you expect with the Cams?
Erm, im not sure really, but Paul did say it would give better gains then the manifold would give me at this point in my modding. Hoping for round about 10bhpish? Will post results once I have them though.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Erm, im not sure really, but Paul did say it would give better gains then the manifold would give me at this point in my modding. Hoping for round about 10bhpish? Will post results once I have them though.
He really said that? Hmm... I'm not sure about that. The Manifold is far to restrictive to really get any more gains then your probably have. Manifold with RRC would make a massive difference in not only BHP, but also Torque.

Gonna phone my Insurance and find out what the coo is...

·
BoInG BoInG
1,370 Posts
He really said that? Hmm... I'm not sure about that. The Manifold is far to restrictive to really get any more gains then your probably have. Manifold with RRC would make a massive difference in not only BHP, but also Torque.

Gonna phone my Insurance and find out what the coo is...
Sorry to hijack Prior, thanks for your patience, and glad the sale went through quickly in the end.

Fonejacker,

Paul told me to expect 230 - 235 bhp (currently have 220) I trust him to give the best advice. It worked out cheaper, i'm road legal, im insured and I get more power, what more could I ask for lol?

As previous, once its dynod (on 18th) ill post it up.

Cant wait lol :cool:

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hijack Prior, thanks for your patience, and glad the sale went through quickly in the end.

Fonejacker,

Paul told me to expect 230 - 235 bhp (currently have 220) I trust him to give the best advice. It worked out cheaper, i'm road legal, im insured and I get more power, what more could I ask for lol?

As previous, once its dynod (on 18th) ill post it up.

Cant wait lol :cool:
Totally off subject, and I am sorry Prior. Just called my Insurance (Admiral), and when I altered my exhaust, that also altered the manifold.

When asking if I am covered, for removal of the Cat, they said that I was still covered. They said, they will cover me for that, but hold no responsibility with regards to the MOT. But I will be covered for the removal of the CAT.

Couldn't believe it! SMASHING NEWS!

·
BoInG BoInG
1,370 Posts
Lucky for you guys...

Just a word of warning though, with out a CAT your car WILL fail an MOT test, which deems your car "un road worthy" or "illegal" in a different form.

So if you have a decatted car, and have a crash - and you car is deemed to not be road worthy you MAY NOT be covered.

Same principal for bald tires....wont affect your insurance, as its your perogitive to keep your car road worthy. But if you crashed with bald tires/decatted car, then there is an easy route out for the insurers.

Thats my take, although you may be lucky with your insurers ;)

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lucky for you guys...

Just a word of warning though, with out a CAT your car WILL fail an MOT test, which deems your car "un road worthy" or "illegal" in a different form.

So if you have a decatted car, and have a crash - and you car is deemed to not be road worthy you MAY NOT be covered.

Same principal for bald tires....wont affect your insurance, as its your perogitive to keep your car road worthy. But if you crashed with bald tires/decatted car, then there is an easy route out for the insurers.

Thats my take, although you may be lucky with your insurers ;)
I disagree - I've told and informed them that I am decatting my car. I agree regarding the bald tyre incident... However your comments are not the same. what i've done is "informed them of the decat" which is similar to "informing" my insurers of having bald tyres.... They are insuring me on the basis that the car has been decatted.

Also, MOT.... CPL will pass the decat, so all good there.

·
BoInG BoInG
1,370 Posts
I disagree - I've told and informed them that I am decatting my car. I agree regarding the bald tyre incident... However your comments are not the same. what i've done is "informed them of the decat" which is similar to "informing" my insurers of having bald tyres.... They are insuring me on the basis that the car has been decatted.

Also, MOT.... CPL will pass the decat, so all good there.
Just be careful mate.

Look at it from a 3rd party point of view. They will argue that your car is unroadworthy as it WILL FAIL an MOT and therefore it shouldnt be on the road at all, in the first place regardless of weather its declared or not!

Not trying to shoot you down, just my opinion (and what my insurance told me) ;)

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Just be careful mate.

Look at it from a 3rd party point of view. They will argue that your car is unroadworthy as it WILL FAIL an MOT and therefore it shouldnt be on the road at all, in the first place regardless of weather its declared or not!

Not trying to shoot you down, just my opinion (and what my insurance told me) ;)
I do tend to agree with you but how would they be able to say it wouldnt pass an mot if you have already passed an mot with it. Some cars that have decats pass the emissions test legally so its not just a case of saying decatting the car will automatically fail the emissons test. I do agree with you though as insurers are sneaky buggers but at the same time fonejacker has declared it and aslong as it passes an mot then they SHOULD'NT be able to (but probably would) get away with not paying out.

Had a wee thought to throw into the mix. If you had a crash and on inspection of the car they found a hole in the exhaust which baring in mind would fail an mot, would they be able to say the car is not road worthy as it would fail an mot because of the hole? I dont think so as you might not have noticed it and its not like we inspect underneath our cars every other week.

·
BoInG BoInG
1,370 Posts
I do tend to agree with you but how would they be able to say it wouldnt pass an mot if you have already passed an mot with it. Some cars that have decats pass the emissions test legally so its not just a case of saying decatting the car will automatically fail the emissons test. I do agree with you though as insurers are sneaky buggers but at the same time fonejacker has declared it and aslong as it passes an mot then they SHOULD'NT be able to (but probably would) get away with not paying out.

Had a wee thought to throw into the mix. If you had a crash and on inspection of the car they found a hole in the exhaust which baring in mind would fail an mot, would they be able to say the car is not road worthy as it would fail an mot because of the hole? I dont think so as you might not have noticed it and its not like we inspect underneath our cars every other week.
Suppose it just depends on the insurers, lets be honest, if they want to find something, then they will!!

It's 100% that the FN2 will fail an emissions test without the cat, the emissions are bad enough as it is. Well thats what ive been told ;)

End of the day, if its declared then thats all you can do, fingers crossed it all works out!!

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Suppose it just depends on the insurers, lets be honest, if they want to find something, then they will!!

It's 100% that the FN2 will fail an emissions test without the cat, the emissions are bad enough as it is. Well thats what ive been told ;)

End of the day, if its declared then thats all you can do, fingers crossed it all works out!!
Exactly mate its technically out of your hands. I was just trying to compare the manifold to the hole in exhaust situation as it is technically the same idea and i doubt they would get away with not paying out if you had a hole in your exhaust.

The best thing to do then is just dont crash your car :p

The best thing to do in my opinion is get admiral to write to you confirming that they know you have decatted your car and are happy to insure it. This in my opinion would keep you 100% safe

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just be careful mate.

Firstly, its roadworthy, secondly, the car will pass the MOT... The question here, is what do you class as "Roadworthy"... Its safe... You must remember even a car with a CAT can give off bad emissions. In a police situ, the car is roadworthy, and is "safe" to drive.

I don't think we need to worry about Police pulling us over because its failing on emissions, unless of course, we were trying to suffocate someone with the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Firstly, its roadworthy, secondly, the car will pass the MOT... The question here, is what do you class as "Roadworthy"... Its safe... You must remember even a car with a CAT can give off bad emissions. In a police situ, the car is roadworthy, and is "safe" to drive.

I don't think we need to worry about Police pulling us over because its failing on emissions, unless of course, we were trying to suffocate someone with the exhaust.
Actually some Police forces in the UK do have emission testing equipment at their disposal. I dont know how widely it is used however

Ive been told by my friendly MOT tester he has seen some cars without a cat pass emission testing for MOTs but to date he has not seen an single FN2 pass that has it cat removed.

·
BoInG BoInG
1,370 Posts
Actually some Police forces in the UK do have emission testing equipment at their disposal. I dont know how widely it is used however

Ive been told by my friendly MOT tester he has seen some cars without a cat pass emission testing for MOTs but to date he has not seen an single FN2 pass that has it cat removed.
Thanks for clarifying. (Paul at TDI even admitted that the FN2 would not pass without the cat when i phoned him to discuss!)

I class unroadworthy as an MOT FAIL - which you car WOULD DO without the CAT. Just stating facts mate. Your friendly MOT tester may well pass it off....but we both know it would be a fake reading and who knows what MAY come of it ;)

However, moral of the story - declare the mod - dont crash. Happy days. :p

1 - 20 of 54 Posts