2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started this thread to consolidate two other on the commercial section.

Basically it's a quest to find a viable option at MOT time when faced with the inevitable fail. Rather than finding a ' friendly' tester I wanted something that I could remove and apply when I wanted in 10-20 mins rather than 2 hours taking the manifold off or paying to have it swapped over.

Here are the other two threads.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/tegiwa-imports/65134-racing-manifold-cat-solution.html

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/abp-motorsport/71409-manifold-mot-solution.html

After 3 months of waiting Tegiwa replied and said they are not planning anything.

I've been in contact with a custom exhaust manufacturer today. From the brief details I gave them they stated that it would be no problem to fabricate a gap further down the system and fit the OEM cat there allowing easy removal as and when required. They have told me to come down when the manifold is fitted and have a proper look. They said they have done numerous different vehicles in this manner and a rough estimate at this state would be between £80.

When I get the manifold fitted at Tdi I will ask for some advice as to where it is best situated.

Anyone else have any ideas in this department?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nope, but thats all it is....................

If your taking it on and off once a year i can't see them getting seized up and being a bitch to take off either.

I realise it's a bit of a pain, but if it's once a year, thats not to bad? Better than spending more cash that ain't really needed.

·
Premium Member
20,381 Posts
8 for the mani to head join i would have thought? and limited space to work, if you cant diy i reckon youre talking 300 a year to be ready for mot? if you can diy skinned knuckles and the best part of a days work, i would rather pay £500 for a permanent solution personally

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
From what I have heard the subframe had to be lowered for reasonable access to fit the race header - don't think that's I DIY driveway job. I'd be for the extra one of payment as well and having and easier time. Keen to see how you get on!!

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, but thats all it is....................

If your taking it on and off once a year i can't see them getting seized up and being a bitch to take off either.

I realise it's a bit of a pain, but if it's once a year, thats not to bad? Better than spending more cash that ain't really needed.
You can come and do mine then mate.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8 for the mani to head join i would have thought? and limited space to work, if you cant diy i reckon youre talking 300 a year to be ready for mot? if you can diy skinned knuckles and the best part of a days work, i would rather pay £500 for a permanent solution personally
Big +1!

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Subscribed :)

Manifold out is a car ramp job. No way I have the tools, time or knowledge plus I dont have a car ramp. I would love some time in a garage though being shown as it is probably pretty simple.

But for £80 to create a long term solution that I can just bolt on and off. Win win for me :)

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been thinking that your idea Nat might be better all be it more expensive. I don't think the stock cat will fit in the best alternative place marked in red due to the heat shields above it. The cat on demon tweaks looks nice and slim and would fit I recon. I think £200 would do it hopefully and you get to keep the OEM cat if you need it to go back on if you get rid of the manifold. I'll keep an open mind till I see the manufactures. Got 12 months to worry about it! ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I've been thinking that your idea Nat might be better all be it more expensive. I don't think the stock cat will fit in the best alternative place marked in red due to the heat shields above it. The cat on demon tweaks looks nice and slim and would fit I recon. I think £200 would do it hopefully and you get to keep the OEM cat if you need it to go back on if you get rid of the manifold. I'll keep an open mind till I see the manufactures. Got 12 months to worry about it! ?
Yer the original cat has a bend in it so would need machining to alter it and then, if returning to stock, would become an issue.

That performance cat or even the standard 400 cell cat on Demon tweaks will sit just nicely on the mid pipe and with some clamps can bolt on bolt off or whatever for MOT time.
I have until August :( Shall reach a conclusion by then though :)

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
I would guess so pal. used 200 on other cars with no problems.

Over here out MOTs are government ran, we have specific test centres etc and I was papping myself as mine was due in Novemeber past. I risked it for a biscuit, rolled up as is and rolled straight through :) with a Tegi Decat mani lol.

Like a Boss :lol:

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.