2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About an hour into my journey, there was a 'BOP' sound and radio cut out. I turned it back on, 10 seconds later the same thing happened. Again I turned it back on and the same.

I decided to leave it off. Then the air con came on by itself and started blowing air out at full blast.

Really odd.

I felt the radio unit and it was very hot, much hotter than I'd expect for a relatively short journey. I felt around the rest of the dash by the drivers side and it was also quite hot.

I turned the climate control on full-blast to 'Lo' but the air stayed quite warm for 20 seconds. It eventually cooled down, and with it so did the dash.

Hopefully everything will be normal in the morning, but it seems like something (radio unit) overheated and went nuts. It doesn't really explain the CC coming on though.

Thoughts?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Maybe a safety feature to prevent any permenant damage to the headunit?

Why it's getting so hot in the first place I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I would get it checked out, has anything been done recently? it could be an electrical fault, and you don't want to break down in the middle nowhere, plus getting hot def needs checking out.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Radios do have a thermal cutout. You could try it on low volume, see if that has an effect. Also, the heater ducting may be leaking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reporting back

no further problems.

it's worth noting that the radio would have been on very loud on the journey - that might have caused the overheating.

i'll motor on for now and keep an eye on things

·
Registered
5 Posts
radio over heating

Hi Jazzman,

i'm new from today andthe reason being is that i'm having the same problem. Now, i had all the same problems as you have but on a long distance (france to poland). the radio overheat and then u get that "pop" sound and then the radio turns on and off. At that point the dashboard (centre) was boiling (no kidding as i burned myself with the cd which was in the radio). My car is still under warranty so by monday i should know if they (honda in poland) gonna fit a new radio system with the screen display on the top. They r not sure wats the problem but my thinking is that the car gets very hot as it doesnt have the air intake front the front grill hence why they have changed the model 3 times in the last 3 years and mostly the only thing which has changed is the front grill. Honda in poland told me that this problem as happen before so thought you should know about my story. Anyhow ** car seems alright at the moment so wish u it stays like that.
Take care.

Matthias

1 - 8 of 8 Posts