2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought an '09 Civic from Honda a couple of months ago, with the 'Honda Happiness' guarantee.

Fairly early I noticed during darkness you could see all of the unlit LCD characters even with the brightness dimmed, but dismissed it as normal.

More recently, one preset on the radio started cancelling after a few seconds and reverting to another channel, then the display started dimming intermittently. Now the display including the climate display has turned off, the radio is completely inoperable and emits a burst of static/clicks every few seconds. I've pulled the fuse for now to shut the radio up.

Now I've seen comments about re-soldering the display and others about needing replacement head units.

Is this likely to be covered by my guarantee, and if so are Honda good at getting it right first time? Its a good two hour drive to the dealer so I don't want any repeat visits, just to return and collect it is 8hrs on the road! Similarly, are these guarantees normally transferable between dealerships, be great if they would take it on at a local dealer.

We will be calling them obviously but nice to hear other peoples experiences first :)

edit: just realised this is my first post since signing up...hello everyone :)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
The Honda Happiness warranty is valid at all Honda dealerships. You may have to make two trips though. One to diagnose and the other to fix once authorised by Honda.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys, all the answers I was looking for :)

Nearest dealer is a much more manageable 45 minutes away...when we bought it we had a small time frame and as it is the wife's, it had to be an SI as she wanted the half leather, diesel, Milano Red, 5dr. So that meant a rather long trip round the south-east to find one as most SI's are not bought in a basic spec colour it seems, we were about to give up when I took over the search and looked at all the ones she had dismissed as not SI models, and found a lower spec model but with full leather option which ticked all the boxes. So thats why we bought it so far away :facepalm:

Personally, I find the leather seats too wide and not very comfy on the back, we both have the seats fairly upright now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well its fixed at last, booked it in mid Jan, we took it in only to find they wanted to check it was broken and then they turned us away with a new appointment for it to be removed. They then fixed the display, removed the radio and sent it off somewhere for about 8 weeks, leaving us with a nice whole in the dash and no hazard light switch. Thought they could have left the spare one they used to confirm with us?!

At least it gave me plenty of time to fit an Aux-In box of tricks and they connected it as requested!

Car has now developed a clicking noise when pulling away and again when braking, at first I thought it was a relay turning off the air-con when hoofing it but its not, something must be moving :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts